Monday, December 28, 2015

comics for the week of 12/23/15.

Happy holidays, y'all.

Buffy 22 - "I had great friends in high school. And we keep in touch in social media...some of us. But... Most of them are married with kids now. We have nothing in common." If this is the direction Buffy is going, I'll be psyched to have slogged through Season 10 to get some real adult world shit in Season 11 - presuming that it's coming. Spike and Buffy's relationship feels like the first real bit of that, but Willow taking this job (and Kennedy being there too) is a great sign in that regard. Because, honestly, I still love the Buffy TV show, but I could never watch it the same way I did - I'm a different person. So if the comic can change to come along with us as adults, I don't think that's a bad thing - I think it's the best thing. And really, that's the whole of this issue. It wasn't a filler issue, because I think this might turn out to be the crux of the entirety of S10? It was great.

Daredevil 2 - Yeah, that's cool, I'm glad we're getting some classic villains mixed in with the new guy, but it still feels less. Lesser, maybe. I'll work on that. It's a fine book, but it's not for me. I don't care about Matt the prosecutor, I don't care about DD in a new costume, and I definitely don't care about Blindspot.

Extraordinary X-Men 4 - Still cool, still fun, still Ramos-y as hell in the art. Sinister is always a good presence, and the end is clearly a fakeout. But I'm worried about Nightcrawler, as well as the overall arc of this book. Bobby gets the good lines in the response to Jean and Logan, but why is he wearing sunglasses? And what's Forge's part beyond just the token technology guy? He's the new Beast without any of the ties (other than with Storm)? I like how quickly Logan and Ororo fall back into their patterns of speaking. But overall, Colossus is the rock of this book - Ramos' art fits him the best, and he's our clear protagonist. It makes sense for him to be this concerned, given that he's been through death before, with his sis and without.

Fight Club 8 - Jesus, this is fucking terrible. I don't have anything good to say about it, so I'll say nothing at all, other than noting that I'll finish it and hope for something worth while.

New Avengers 4 - Huh. Still fun, still wacky, still worth reading, or at least keeping track of. That's my kind of off the wall Marvel book. Kree, Skrull, Avengers, mutants, Terrigen mists, Clint being Cool Dad, Billy and Teddy having a real relationship, and potential for a long-lasting thread to be resumed at some point. Solid stuff.

Saga 32 - Wow. I love this book so much that it's easy to forget, either while it's gone or even just between issues, how good it actually is. It's not just the art, it's not just the story, it's the everything. This is everything a comic should be: true storytelling, in every sense of the word. The creators complementing one another. Marko and Alana are great and Ghus is the best. Prince Robot (no longer a Prince) is going to continue to play a crazy important role. I love this book.

Spider-Woman 2 - This is a great book to match with New Avengers - they both feel fun, unconnected to the BIIIIIG issues, but still connected to the underlying fabric of the new Marvel Universe. Plus, Jess kicks ass and her friendship with Carol is amazing. The art is good, the story is fun, and that's about it.

Book of the week goes to Saga. I would have loved to give it to Buffy, but Saga is levels beyond.

No comments: