Monday, August 10, 2015

comics for the week of 08/05/15.

The Civil War part of Secret Wars is still proving to be fun, but I'm getting impatient with the mainline book. Is it already behind? Or am I just cranky? Also, we still don't really know what's going to happen with, like...everything else.

Angel & Faith 17 - Yeah, things are happening. But...is that Drusilla on the last page? It doesn't look much like her, but it doesn't seem like it could be anyone else and cursory Googling says yeah, so...I guess it is? OK, that'll be fine, and I like how Faith and Angel have a good discussion in this issue, and I like how Fred is back in the mix (although going undercover as a lunch lady seems a bit beneath an Elder God like Illyria) but I'm not sure how this is all going to play out. Does this mean that Archaeus is controlling Dru (as mentioned in the now-looking-back-it-might-have-been-heavy-handed conversation) and that he'll turn out to be the Big Bad for both books? As I mentioned with the last Buffy book, I'm not sure he feels big or bad enough? But that's fine, they're working smaller still, maybe? Anyway, the book is still good, but I'm not really feeling compelled by either of them any more. Maybe this is just part of growing older and growing away from things I once loved? I don't feel like the book is bad, at all. So if it's not changing, maybe it's just me.

Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows 3 - That's fun. I like the idea of Annie taking the lead next issue, but if we're honest, she really did so here. Peter can narrate all he likes, but it was her words that led him to fight. As well it should be. The art's still pretty poor (sorry Kubert) and the story is trite, but it's cool to see Spidey as "the most important hero" yet again. I mean, he's my guy. So of course I'm gonna like it, right?

Ultimate End 4 - Hm. OK. I can't say that I fully understand it, but I'm starting to see that there might be a point to it after all. I mean, it can't just be this totally atemporal look at a version of a What If...? story, right? There's gotta be something. And here we see Val asking Doom exactly that? Maybe he knows, even with the power of God, that he can't hold on to it forever? Maybe that's why he's intentionally introducing chaos into the system? (Also, Jesus, how much does Bendis love chaos theory? He must have flipped his shit for Jurassic Park and just never moved past that point, huh? Wanda's a chaos magician, kicking off Disassembled, and now he's trying to muck in Hickman's waters by saying chaos is the magic reset button? What a dork.) But I still don't know what's happening with Tony vs. Tony nor do I really get who Frank's ultimately shooting at - but I think that's (at least part of?) the point? We'll see next issue.

Book of the week goes to...none of them? Nothing was great this week, but I guess I'll go with Spider-Man. Best of the bunch.

No comments: