Monday, March 2, 2015

comics for the week of 02/25/15.

We had some serious snow.

All New X-Men 38 - I don't know how the fuck I ended up in the middle of a crossover with this book, but this is the first time I've actually needed to read one of those recap pages, and let me tell you: this seems ridiculous! Maybe they all always are, but I don't ever read them. I don't need to. And, needing to, this seems crazy. And after reading, here's the verdict: the art was cool. Angel, especially, looks cool in his mutated, Black Vortex form, whatever the hell that is. Beast does not, Gamora was worthless except for exposition, and the X-Babies and the Guardians teaming up doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. I have to assume I actually missed an issue in this series, even though the checklist in the back says that there were no All New X-Men books before this; it's just so out of left field. And, of course, what's not out of left field is the reunion with Cyclops at the end. So, they'll all be together, I'll have to endure one more issue of this nonsense (hopefully with the same artist, that was some good stuff, seriously) and then where do they go from there? Maybe Battle World? OK. Kind of worthless.

Daredevil 13 - A nice bit of turnabout with all the twists and turns that we've come to expect from this book. Some seriously jacked up foreshadowing when it comes to the Owl and his presence in Matt's life, as well as that nice last page. The Shroud is going to be a big part of the San Francisco adventures, huh? And Kirsten is getting to spend a lot of time setting up how capable she is, I hope it's not just prelude for her getting the axe (metaphorically or literally). She's a great supporting character and even if she's not Matt's girlfriend, she has potential to stick around for a while, just like Foggy has.

New Avengers 30 - It's too crazy, but at least Hickman explicitly acknowledges that in his narration. I mean, I know it's setting up literally everything that's coming, but damn. Hank tells the story of how the Beyonders are destroying the Multiverse and are killing not only the Gods, not only the Celestials, but the Multiverse itself. So...that's a big deal. Past that? I don't know. I'll have to wait until Secret Wars, try to understand it and then wrap my brain around the fallout. This is all prelude.

Spider-Gwen 1 - So, it starts off great, with cameos from the Vulture, Ben Grimm, the Hamburgler, Foggy Nelson, Frank Castle,and a reference to Yeezy! The art is cool, the story is cool insofar as taking place in another universe and referencing Spider-Verse. But other than that, there's not a lot of substance. It's a cool start, I'm glad to see the echo of Spider-Man with the Vulture as an enemy, but beyond the cute nods. I'm happy to be getting it, and I'm happy it's coming out (as per the end page) but I hope it does something real.

Book of the week goes to Daredevil.

No comments: