Monday, February 9, 2015

comics for the week of 02/04/15.

It's a bummer that Hawkeye's gotta go. But it's clearly beyond Aja and Fraction's scope now.

Angel & Faith 11 - There are a lot of people converging in this issue. I'd even forgotten what had happened last issue, but Fred re-appearing, Faith coming back home, reuniting with Nadira and Angel, and Koh even making his cameo... This is good. The bar scenes are beautifully pencilled and I love the look of this book in general. However, for all of the goodness, it really did feel like setting up the pieces/filler. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure it'll turn out in the long run, but for now, I'm impatient for more.

Avengers 41 - Well. That's a heck of a turn. Man, evil Ultimate Universe Reed has got to be one of the best new characters of the last ten years (if he counts as that) right? Geez. He's horrible. And now he's got a crew? This Secret Wars/Battleworld shit is shaping up to be amazing. Seriously. It's a crazily extended prologue, but hopefully when we get to the real action, it's time for some serious roll.

East of West 17 - That was great. I like it better when we get fewer stories in this book so we can spend a little more time on them. (And I guess that'll always be the case now, since there's fewer stories to tell? But it doesn't actually seem like there are. For every one story we lose, we're picking up a new thread.) The sections with Babylon and Death were each great, and the Kingdom and the Confederacy felt nicely linked. I really like what's happening with the convergence, but I can't wait to see how they're going to pull the curtain back for the kid. Maybe they won't, and we'll just get the prescribed story.

Hawkeye 21 - I knew this was going to be good (they all have been and I can't wait to buy the inevitable hardcover of this run) but I didn't know it was going to be this good and I didn't know I was going to gasp loudly. Everything that made this book great was here, including the pencils, the bros, the dialogue beyond just the bros, the paneling, the clear acknowledgement of Clint's deafness and his horrible relationship history, and the nice surprise, both in the middle with those great panels of the crazy guy's mom, and the very last image of Pizza Dog. It's all coming to a head next month (hopefully) and I'm confident they'll stick the landing. But more importantly, I want that hardcover, and I want to stick around to see if Lemire can do something cool but different. I hope Hawkeye still gets to have a cool book, even if it'll never be this again. Barney.

Saga 25 - Well, this was, by far, the weirdest issue of this series we've received. That's not to say it was bad, but there was a lot of narration and more than a few subplots are starting. There's some incredible things being down with Hazel's narration, especially insofar as her getting out spoilers and setting up expectations, but too much exposition can bog things down. Also, Marko looks great with a beard and the variety of team-ups that are happening now are incredible. The way the core crew has been split up and yet remain on this parallel journey is rather inspired storytelling. The only bit we didn't get was the reporters in this issue, but I have a feeling they'll make an appearance soon.

Wytches 4 - That ending, thoooooooooough. I should have known it was coming, but I was so caught up in the current action and the awesome flashback that I forgot about it. Man. Hope Sailor gets out soon so they can all be reunited before everyone forgets. Then they've gotta get to a place without trees, find the Irons family, and burn down the whole fucking town. Yup. Sounds like a plan. Another solid entry.

Book of the week goes to Hawkeye. Heck of a comic right there.

No comments: