Monday, February 2, 2015

comics for the week of 01/28/15.

Welp. It's finally happened. The Unwritten is gone. Big time sad face.

Mind MGMT 30 - The art in this issue was incredible, but the substance was just as good. We got the Eraser's backstory, but we only get her twisted version of it. It's hard to tell what's real with her, especially since there's so many layers to the P.K. Verve story: the back cover, the actual story inside the issue, the Second Floor prologue, her revelations at the end. There's just so many layers. It's overwhelming, but only in the good way. The best thing about this issue was how it inspired me to go back to the beginning of this series (as well as the previous arc) and reread to see how Meru interacted with the Eraser unknowingly. This is a book for the ages.

The Multiversity Guidebook - That was tons of fun. Multiversity, at least to me, is at its best when its whimsical like this with a hint of the larger story. I'm not sure the larger story is ever actually going to mean anything, so I'd rather just get to see awesome glimpses of all the cool stuff we've been surrounded by this whole time - without even realizing it. The Batmen story was fun and the Kamandi wasn't my cup of tea, but the actual guidebook portions were amazing.

New Avengers 29 - Cool. If we didn't already know a Battleworld type scenario was coming, this sure as shit should be our hint. My only beef with this issue (and, retroactively, the whole storyline) is what they're doing to Steve Rogers. How is he going to come back from this? He's turned into a parody of himself. And, of course, as soon as I typed that, I remembered the implication of what happened to Franklin Richards, so put that on the list of shit I don't like, too. But, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, eh? We're getting a reset button in a matter of months in the Marvel Universe, so they can pretty much kill anyone they want to and they have a big honking back door in sight. This is a weird time for comics. It was a good issue, but it feels hollow?

Sex Criminals 10 - Yeah, it continues to be good and weird. The minimal backgrounds (a la McKelvie) don't work quite as well here, but they've been there the whole series and I just cared this issue, so maybe they do? The story is still weird as hell but at least we're getting some development of characters who aren't necessarily the protagonists.

Uncanny Avengers 1 - God, this was horrible. Don't buy it, don't waste your time reading it.

The Unwritten: Apocalypse 12 - I'm having trouble actually processing my feelings about this, much less articulating them. I think all I can say for now is that it was almost perfect. The Willowbank epilogue made me cry and I didn't think we'd get that good of an ending. I mean, the actual ending. The last few pages made it even better than it had already been, which was almost perfect. Honestly, there was no other way they COULD go, and they still managed to exceed my expectations.

Book of the week goes to the Unwritten's finale. The only book that can compete is Mind MGMT, but Tommy Taylor's farewell is honestly one of the best endings I've ever encountered.

No comments: