Monday, October 27, 2014

comics for the week of 10/22/14.

The first arc of The Wicked and the Divine is over and, while I didn't hate it, I'm not sticking with it. If anyone wants the singles, holla, otherwise they're going back to the shop. And post-facto, I realized that all the comics below are technically from different companies. (DC/Vertigo are different, right?) One per. That's unusual. But I'm happy DC is represented.

Avengers 37 - A lot of superb stuff in this issue. Let's start with the biggie: I did not see that coming from Mrs. Richards. She played her part well. And I'll be honest beyond that: I'm not really sure I truly understand what's going on here. Cap is part of SHIELD and they're patrolling the US borders, but they're on a leash. The Illuminati are trying...to...save the world? But SHIELD doesn't like how they're doing it? And...neither...does the world? But they're OK with the Cabal doing the exact same thing? Just because it's out in the open? Or are the Illuminati on one of those furious redemption cycles that no one's really aware of aside from the SHIELD team? The holograms of Beast and Hulk were cool, but I don't really like what this is all saying about Cap. As opposed to being the token ultra-lefty he was in Civil War, he's now a token uber-righty, hunting down his friends? I mean...I understand being upset about being brainwashed. That's not cool. But there has to be something more. In addition, we got to see some of the separation that's almost guaranteed to come up with the Inhumans and a bit of a reference to Hyperion being away as well as Sunspot making big moves. I liked it.

Buffy 8 - Buffy advising Spike not to feed the trolls made this issue. Along with the art. The gorgeous art. The beautiful, wonderful, amazing, Buffy-like art. Rebekah Isaacs on the Buffy book is how it's supposed to be. I'm not sure if that's just the nostalgia talking, but damn, it felt good. The little section with Richard Corben was delightful, too. As far as the story, there was a lot of exposition, as per the perfect jumping on point that Dark Horse was promoting on the cover (and that cover was awesome too!) but I really didn't mind it. It's nice that Spike and Buffy had an honest conversation and if you couldn't tell who else Warren was heading to resurrect, you're a fool. This is going to head some interesting places, there's little doubt about that.

The Multiversity: The Just - This issue was so so so so good, much better than the first. But then I found out there'd been another in between so this is actually the third. Regardless, the art was great when I expected it to be horrible and Morrison's giving in even more to his gonzo impulses and the comic books are invading and I got my bits of Kingdom Come in, so it was all good. Loved the Alexis Luthor character as well as all the other additions to the KC-verse that weren't in that opus. Loved the idea of Superman being gone, but Superman still being there and Kon being totally different (and loved the Bizarro twist). Liked Damian as Batman and his knowing that something horrible is coming and his constant "TT"ing. Hoping that we'll see a little bit less of Morrison's own comics in his own comics, but more of the references to Neil Gaiman's Sandman. (Hilarious.) Happy with how this is going so far. Need to catch up on the second issue.

Unwritten: Apocalypse 10 - Holy crap this is shaping up to be one weird ending. I didn't care for this issue as much as I have all the rest of the Apocalypse series, but I also thought it was going to be the last one and then I found out it's going 12. So that's both a good thing and a bad thing. I mean, there's obviously plenty of rope left here. And the gang is in an interesting spot. Pullman's back in the real world, Ambrosio has the trumpet and Tommy and Tom are distinct again. Pauly turning good(ish) again was a nice spot, I thought he was going to have to be sacrificed at some point - and that still might happen. But I'm curious most of all about the father-son relationship (surprise, surprise) and how that's going to play out. There's precious little time left and Tom's going to have to convince Tommy somehow that they're all on the same team. The most intriguing page in the whole issue, though? The single one with Madame Rauch looking at her puppets surrounded by her baby. There are plenty of twists and turns to come, it feels like.

The Walking Dead 133 - Even in the beginning of this issue I was holding out hope the whispering folk would be legit. But by the end, it looks like we've simply got our next token bad guys. I'm still happy that the new gang in Rick's camp is turning out better and that Andrea turned away Jesus when he tried to code talk to her. I like how she's handling the situation. I'm also a huge fan of Jesus, though, so I'm hoping that he won't have to die in the attack at the end of the issue. And Carl's showing growth, which a lot of people said would never happen, so that's cool. It's gonna really trip me out, though, if he tries to juggle two girls at once. That's not growth, that's just gross.

Book of the week goes to The Just. It was uneven at times, but when it was good, it was brilliant.

No comments: