Monday, October 20, 2014

comics for the week of 10/15/14.

The fall crisp in the air means it's getting back to running season.

Daredevil 9 - More Mark Waid doing awesome things with Daredevil being blind that stupid people haven't thought of before: of course he doesn't know the Purple Kids are purple. How could he tell that? Foggy's disguise is truly pathetic and Kirsten is a perfect bit of levity for Matt. The way the whole issue plays, I certainly believe that he's turning a corner. And then the ending snuck up on me, in both ways. I believe Kilgrave is going to give him hell next issue, but I don't believe that it was all an act. This book is awesome in a totally different way than any Daredevil book has ever been before.

Death of Wolverine 4 - It was cheesy. I still cared and got a little sad. But not too sad. Worth your time for the 4 minutes it'll take you to read if you ever cared about the X-Men at any point in time. Will be not too fondly remembered and won't matter when he's back. But for now, I guess Logan'll make a hell of a statue.

Fables 145 - Well that was interesting. The cover gimmick was gimmicky, but it wasn't bad at all. And the story being out of time was an interesting wrinkle to that. And the fight between Bigby and Red and Totenkinder was interesting. I really want to see Ms. Dark get in on this battle directly. I don't know why they didn't hear what Bigby said and immediately realize they were wrong to try to take that fight away from Snow White. But it seems like their Camelot destiny is already getting in the sisters' way. With the dissolution of one of Bellflower's knives, I don't think she's going to be quite the savior she thinks she is. Which is better anyway. Because it looks like Cindy is going to take her out. So sad.

New Avengers 25 - Holy shit, Hickman brought in his SHIELD. And then it gets even better. Cho is trying to tell Sue to trust the smarter people, but the thing about the top 5% is that they never recognize how many people are above them. Nor do they ever learn enough to consistently trust them. Stark's not looking like the bad guy like I thought he was, which is nice, and it's wonderful to see Captain Britain as the new de facto tough guy since Thor and Hyperion are gone. Reed watching his wife torture (if that's not too strong a word) Cho had to be tough, especially with the language she was throwing around. But one of the most interesting parts, to me, was the overlap, the way we're seeing things truly interact. This seems not necessarily new to me (I mean, I hated the decompressed story just as much as everyone else after Bendis had his heyday) but better done than I've seen it before. The art was good, except for Sue's face. Some serious problems there. Good stuff otherwise.

Ultimate Spider-Man 6 - Well, it certainly seems at this point they're going through with it, huh? And I've gotta say, if Peter goes away (to return every once in a while as a guest, of course, I'm not totally naive) I think it'll be just fine. This was handled well. I mean, the MJ-Peter thing, the Miles-Peter thing, the Miles-Norman thing and, most touchingly, the Peter-Aunt May thing. There's so much good in here that it's almost tempting to look over the glaringly bad in comparison to usual art. It just was not good, though. Which is a shame because a book this good deserved art to match. I'm curious to see if they murdered JJJ, which would obviously be another huge change to a universe that has some really cool things going on right now. I'm not falling for Miles' dad, though, and I hope he doesn't either. (Not that I'm totally confident it's a red herring. I'm done being dismissive after tossing out Peter as a possibility for six issues. Anything could happen. And that's cool.)

Book of the week goes to Daredevil. The art and the storytelling are so powerful.

No comments: