Monday, October 13, 2014

comics for the week of 10/01/14 & 10/08/14.

I missed a week already. But it was Homecoming week, so I assume I'll be excused.

Angel and Faith 7 - Fun. The old gang reunion continues, with Koh thrown into the mix, if he wasn't seen last time. Faith, Angel, Riley, Sam, Amy and (kinda) Warren all continue their separate (but intertwining, to be sure) paths, and it's a nice time to be had by all. I'm not sure why Faith has to keep explaining what happened with her and Riley every issue, it's not like there's many people just jumping onto this series free of context who are going to run out without that info, but... The art is gorgeous, the storyline is nice and I still don't know what to think of this Zane military family. It'll be a fun ride as they discover tribal daytime vampires and see where Riley's at in the midst of all this.

Death of Wolverine 3 - Fun, but nowhere near the excitement of the first issue. (This has been a trend the last two.) It's a great idea and I'm glad to be reading it, but it won't stick with me in any meaningful way, just like Logan's death won't truly exist for long in the 616. The art was a bit off, but Kitty was great, Ogun's always fun and the conclusion is next.

Edge of Spider-Verse 4 - That was a weird look. I didn't really care for it, not because I don't appreciate bastardizations of my favorite superhero, but because I didn't see much point. Is Morlun going to use this Patton as a soldier in his army? Or did he merely eat him? I don't really get it, but it was entertaining, worth the read if nothing else.

Thor 1 - That was awesome. And we're obviously supposed to get the idea that the new lady Thor is Freyja, right? I mean, I asked some of my friends if this issue revealed who it is, but they said no. So, sure, it doesn't out and out say it and I'm willing to acknowledge that it might be someone else, but...it seems pretty likely, huh? And the arm! The arm! So quickly! I love what Aaron's doing with this character and I'm hopeful that these changes will stay in place. I mean, unlike Aquaman, who seemed to lose his hand on a "the Universe is going dark" whim, this seems to be a rather carefully thought out plan. And we've seen him in the future, as this version, so let's roll with it, right? I mean, there's no way this changes the character for the worse. Let's continue to grow. Thank God for Jason Aaron. I finally can believe in change in comics.

The Walking Dead 132 - Well that was just lovely. I finally felt my heart jumping as I was reading this book again. It's been a long, long time since that's happened and I'm happy with this book like I haven't been for a while. I thought the time jump was interesting in theory, but I wasn't sure Kirkman was going to have the balls to follow through with it in any meaningful way, but it's nice to see that he's trying. Maggie's new role is great, Rick's reverence is bordering on disrespectful and dangerous, Carl seems to be coming into his own in a good way, and the last page revelations were great.

Book of the week goes to Thor. It was beautiful, it was moving, and it honestly changed things. What more could a mature comic book fan want?

*

It's vacation time, which means planes and airports, which means extra time to read and write. Hooray.

Avengers 36 - That last page... And clearly we're being led to think that RDJ (I mean, Iron Man...) is behind all this. That he's the "Great Destroyer" and the Avengers are some noble entity in pursuit of nothing more than simply starting over again, but it seems likely that there'll be much, much more to the puzzle. I mean, it's Hickman. So we get to see Thor with his metal arm (ahead of his own series and referred to on the title page as simply Odinson, if not in the issue by Bobby as Thor) and we get to see Hyperion leaving his kids. We get a revelation about Bobby's own son. We see the New Universe kids tacking on their own reasons to join this cosmic voyage and, most importantly, toward the end, we seem to have this promise that none of these characters are coming back, they're all bound to die. This obviously won't happen, but it does set up a hell of a threat. I'm curious and back to loving this book, so that's a win in my eyes.

Black Science 9 - It's turtles all the way down, man. It just continues to get more and more complicated. While I don't think that was our Grant at the end of the book, I think his presence is intended to show us that it could be. And while I feel like we didn't get nearly enough of the kids this issue, we were obviously designed to recall them with our intro to Jake and Becca, which was not only a nice parallel but also something that obviously should be afflicting all of our characters; this realization of multiple universes would definitely destroy some of the confidence we've all built up over the years.

Sex Criminals 8 - This book is so weird in so many good ways. I mean, the art and the story, the basics of any comic book, are great. But then there's the content and the letters column and the subtext all in between and it's like, damn; where'd this brilliant madness come from? It's really cool and here we see that our new character has an existing relationship with our two mains, and there's some cool tension, but a lot of it is worked out by the characters themselves, which is always a good sign for their maturity, but then there's an ending where we're going to see at least two of them lose their shit. This book is good. You should read it. If you're sexually comfortable.

Book of the week goes to Avengers. It's nice that it's this big again, but not so nebulous.

No comments: