Monday, September 15, 2014

comics for the week of 09/10/14.

It's almost fall.

Avengers 34 - Yeah, dunno. Was this part of the regular line, just irregularly numbered? A cute little Hyperion story, but not really worth anyone's time who's already read Squadron Supreme or even any of his new stuff.

Death of Wolverine 2 – Yeah, it was still good and I'm interested, but I'm still not sure they're actually going to pull the trigger. The best part was the plethora of guest stars (Mystique, the obvious Viper and Sabertooth, but the quick pairs of goodies at the end was great, too) and the beautiful art. Even more excited, honestly, for issue three, with the promise of the good side of guest stars than I was for two. And did this come out only a week apart? That'd be super fun if they did it all in a month.

East of West 15 - Holy shit, this comic just leveled up in a significant way. The introduction of Babylon and Balloon will go down as my personal turning point on this book. I liked it before, thought it was good, but didn't have that edge to it. This issue? Obviously provided not only that edge, but two compelling characters, as well as yet another storyline to a book that doesn't need anything more in terms of plots to keep track of. But it was well worth it for the visions that Balloon was showing him as well as his easy dismissal of Conquest. The Beast as the Master of the Four Horsemen (with Death missing) but also as the kid Babylon being manipulated by Balloon as the fatherless champion of the world is now my favorite story going on here. I cannot wait to see how he gets integrated into all the other lines. And, of course, we spent some time with his mother and she's clearly got a plan, which will fold nicely, I'd imagine, into whatever's going to happen. This is getting really, really, really good.

Edge of Spider-Verse 1 – Yep, I read two Marvel event books this week and I don't regret either of them. This was really cool. I liked the Spider-Man Noir book that came out just before I jumped off the Spider bandwagon, and this felt like a natural return to it. I haven't read it since it came out, so that could just be nostalgia speaking, but the art, the dialogue, it all felt perfect. And the intrusion of the event didn't feel like any kind of bad thing since that's what it was set up in the first place to be. Can't wait for the next issue so we can meet the gang. Might even go back and find the first piece of the puzzle, as mentioned in the checklist at the back.

Hawkeye 20 - The neat little bow is being tied. It's been a phenomenal run. Hickman's got a way with the large and a way with the small. I'm still bummed, more than anything, that this run is ending, but I'm also ecstatic that it ever found a place and has managed to stay this good the whole time. I feel like it's got one or two more issues, but I wish it had vastly more than that. In this issue, we see Kate's story in LA come to an end, but not her story in general. Her encounters with Masque all add up to an interesting family dynamic, the good guys using her, in both the small sense (Harold) and larger (SHIELD) but it does seem like it works out for her. I mean, other than the whole PI thing, which was never a good fit for her anyway. The art, as always, is superb and the story's got her headed back to NYC for a HawkGuy reunion.

Invincible 114 - That was the incredible ending that felt practically inevitable from the beginning, right? I mean, that's the way it HAD to go down. And I love it. I'm happy the Viltrumites saw Rex's logic, I'm happy Mark lost, I'm happy the news is reporting on it just the way Robot said they would and I'm happy that Eve has her legs back and the baby out. Because I feel like we're only starting the upward motion again. This tiny arc has been resolved, but this cannot be a lasting peace. (It'd be a fun experiment to make it so, but I don't think that's what Kirkman's going for.) There will be a few issues devoted to how much better the world is, overall, because it makes sense that it will be. BUt there will be undercurrents and people who are bitter about the way it happened. (NB: Bulletproof is definitely going to pay for his Judas role.) The other interesting angle? Monster Girl. She's going to be pissed.

Powers 11 - Exciting. I feel like this might actually change something? I'm not worried about Walker, he'll survive that fall, but Pilgrim is a volatile sort and she might have a problem with this info. Also, Calista seems to be in a bad place and no matter how that turns out, it'll be a cool change. The only thing is, after one more issue, how long will it take until we get a new series that capitalizes on any of the possibilities that are going to spin out of this? With the TV series coming up, I'm worried that BMB will be even less likely to have time for his OG baby. Regardless, I'm amazed at the turn around in this short season. It's been a fun ride, I look forward to the finish.

The Walking Dead 131 – I liked pretty much everything about this issue. From Rick's blowing off the revelation to Maggie taking control. From Carl's reunion with Sophia to Maggie's interesting new man. (Are we supposed to know him? Have we even previously met him? I get the characters mixed up, even after 10+ years. I got that his name was Dante, and that's about it.) The best thing, though, was the common sense way that Carl and Earl got everything worked out. Way more important than communal dinners is seeing some of the main characters in this book starting to talk to each other like real people would. The cliffhanger at the end is more of the same bullshit that's plagued the book for a long, long time, but I'm a little reassured that we're actually going to change things, with the dead whispers and the common sense. Maybe I'm still an idiot fanboy hoping for change, but this is an Image book by a guy who doesn't need the status quo to sell books. I'm hopeful.

Book of the week goes to East of West. It was great before. But now it's incredible.

No comments: