Monday, September 8, 2014

comics for the week of 09/03/14.

Not a totally atypical week, at this point. Marvel event books that weren't great, no DC and a great Dark Horse syndication.

Angel & Faith 6 - Despite their being apart, Angel and Faith's stories seem to be coming together, just like the two main Buffy books are. Like the sunny vampire angle, don't like Angel's side of it: Amy being back feels like more of the same, especially when she pulls out a jar of Warren. If we're going to bring characters back from the dead, let's go to Tara. The fans are certainly clamoring for it. But honestly, this book felt fine. I like Angel's interaction with the cop. I still don't trust him. And Faith is clearly getting back to a place that can work for her. It's going to take this arc, but I feel like, by the end of it, they'll be reunited. Unless this is a whole season type of deal, in which case I'll be frustrated by that ampersand. Zane Pharmaceuticals seems like a nice juicy hook for later and the re-emergence of Amy is troubling for much much further down the line.

Death of Wolverine 1 - I was curious enough to pick it up and I'll be curious enough to finish it out. It's only a four issue mini and the way the series is set (already) with the Then and Now designations means they can basically throw this into continuity at any time. I don't think it's actually going to result in Logan being gone from the Marvel Universe. I think it's going to end with him dying in the Now, but getting his healing factor back in the Then, that is to say, our now. I think it'll be something they say, hey, this is definitely going to happen. Just not yet. But if Logan does actually get out of the 616, I want to be keeping up with it as it goes. And if he doesn't? Well, I won't be disappointed or surprised. This issue was fine. The pencils were sharp, the connections to Canada were fun, Logan's killing skills were on display and the dialogue with Reed was good. I'm interested to see next issue because it looks like Sabertooth is being kept as a pet by Viper. I've not kept up with Wolvie in a long time so that's weird to me, but I'm sure it'll be briefly touched on. Superhero comics. Weird.

Original Sin 8 - Gotta say I'm disappointed. Fury doesn't die, is relegated to some odd new role that we may or may not see. Bucky doesn't die, but is also relegated to a man in outer space, removing him from his best previous element. The Orb doesn't become the new Watcher, which is what I thought was happening (but maybe that's what we're supposed to get from Fury) and is back on the Earth being a reverse creeper Watcher? The shadowy figure behind Strange and Black Panther was obviously supposed to be Fury but they didn't notice him? And they didn't tell Cap...why? I'm not sure any of this makes any sense. Maybe it's just seeding for later but for now the conclusion really didn't live up to the previous wackiness.

Book of the week goes to Angel and Faith. Big Two are letting me down.

No comments: