Monday, August 25, 2014

comics for the week of 08/20/14.

With Labor Day coming up it feels like summer is officially over, not only for NM teachers, but for the whole country. That being said, I think Guardians of the Galaxy "won" summer and Boyhood won best movie of the year. But the year's not over.

Buffy 6 - A fine issue, but the poor art really had a bad effect on me. I feel like we've been through this exact same idea before, but I'm fine with that, because the dynamic has changed significantly. Giles as the weak link is a new dimension, so I'll like seeing where that goes. The idea of San Francisco rents rising is a real one so it's cool that this got included. However, the bad art was really serious. I was glad to read in the letters page that the regular team will be back.

Daredevil 7 - Although it read during the statistics scene like a bit of an after school special, I was happy with the turn. We've seen it before, sure, (notably in an early aughts/late 90s run of Impulse?) but that doesn't mean it's not a good one. I'd love if Maggie and Matt developed a closer relationship, too, that'd be a neat dynamic. However, my only beef is that Wakanda sure seems to be making a lot of enemies lately. I can't imagine that T'Challa's sister will think too kindly of Daredevil from here forward after his little stunt in her throne room. All's well that ends well, next issue we get to escape the blasted confines of crossover territory and get back to what Waid and Samnee do best: making Daredevil fun again.

Fables 143 - Oh man, Mrs. Dark. This is getting seriously bad for almost everyone. Fables as a title and a story is definitely ending. The way Weyland goes out (if it's truly the end for him) raised my heart rate and definitely evoked the feels. The upcoming battle between Rose and White, as I've mentioned before, feels perfectly circular, but no less tragic. I'm going to be seriously bummed if Rose (or White, I suppose) has to die to complete the cyclical nature of this story. Meanwhile, the story of the magicians gang and the intersection of Fabletown and NYC is getting going. And, of course, Beauty and the Beast get their moment to shine. I love how his curse transferred to their baby and how he's still got his part to play. (I know I skipped over the bird and the post-script, but...)

Multiversity 1 - Yeahhhhhh...that was fucking weird. I don't really know what I'm going to think about the whole thing, but it was typically kooky Morrison in the best way. Things are insane, they feel like a purposefully 70s-inspired, drug-fueled manic romp through the winding Multiverse. I'm happy Morrison is getting to do what he wants to do, but I feel like it's going to be exactly what I said earlier: an awesome time that ultimately has no effect on the comics themselves. It was awesome, don't get me wrong, but...I feel bad for Morrison at this point. I feel like he might be a masochist.

New Avengers 23 - Well isn't that just exactly sticking the landing? Man. For a while, this book was completely lost, but it's definitely found its fit and its tone. I'm digging the mirroring, obviously, but there was so much more to it. From Wong's simple no, to the way my heart actually started beating faster as the Incursion was getting closer and closer. I've been reading comics for more than two decades at this point, and I knew nothing was going to happen, but I could still suspend my disbelief enough to think that something might. Now that's power. It was great to see Beast with a book (after confiding in himself, hah!) and Tony beating alcohol. Black Bolt's scream was primal and Bruce's reaction was more like mine would be. But unmentioned and conspicuously missing? Strange. I'm glad we got to see the family of Reed, and good for him for knowing sign language (good on Marvel, too!) and while I understand the fight just happened with Namor, it should still be a big deal that Stephen's missing, too. I have a feeling that's for later, though.

Trees 4 - Uh, I don't get it. It's too few and far between with too little concrete plot. I like it, but I just can't hang with it at this point. I'll happily read it in trade and I'll continue to recommend it to people, but I just feel like, at this point, that it's not for me.

Unwritten: Apocalypse 8 - Man. It's perfect. And it's so close to ending. But there's two chapters left and everyone's got a part to play. Next issue we'll have the Wilson showcase (and presumably some Savoy) and then the final will go to Tom (and presumably Pullman and some Lizzie action). Here we get Tom finding the grail, which apparently can be in multiple forms at one time, which will lead to some truly interesting results when it comes to the end and who's using those tools at the same time. I loved the background when Tom entered the church (?) of all the wooden puppets. There's also the angle of Rausch and how she's going to play into the endgame. I think there's obviously quite a bit of thread to spool out here and I couldn't be more excited.

The Wicked and the Divine 3 - Yep. It's pretty. And I'm no longer interested in it. Way too much self-indulgence. Not for me.

Book of the week goes to Unwritten.

No comments: