Monday, June 30, 2014

comics for the week of 06/25/14.

I don't know what to say about the state of DC anymore. I have no more books from them (aside from Vertigo) but I wish I did. The comic book market is better when there are more people making better books.

Invincible 112 - Wow, there were a lot of feels, but none bigger than that last page. We're seeing Robot's plan unfold much more quickly than some people might have anticipated, but the way he put it to Monster Girl is about as accurate as it could be. He has to make his move in this fashion because if it doesn't go as planned, it won't happen at all. And that's, I think, all that we're left hoping for in the next issue. The weirdest part for me was how much I cared about the Martian guy, whose name I can't even remember and how effective that line of dialogue was. Man. This is great.

Mind MGMT 23 - This is the issue of heartache. Man, so much loss. I'm proud of Perrier for finding a backbone, but it definitely seems like it was too little too late. Bill is gone and with that, the conclusion of this book must be imminent. (In fact, the letter pages say we're now 2/3 of the way through the book. What a shame.) But Lyme can't really be gone. Especially given his partner's return to save Perrier. But the real key is in Dusty's sidebar interview with Rolling Stone and the fact that his music survived. Clearly, the people who killed him were not aware of the real threat. Fools.

New Avengers 20 - The matchups are really what make this issue. I've never been a Black Panther hater, but I'm no huge proponent of his, and he comes across really well here. Meanwhile, Namor is still intent on becoming the villain of the piece. Iron Man, Hulk and Beast all get slapped around. But, of course, we knew it was coming: Doctor Strange comes to the rescue. (Kinda. I mean...) I'm not exactly sure where he's getting this power, given what we see is the ultimate end of his voyage, which we'd seen glimpses of earlier, in this issue, but he's gotten himself to a dark, dark place. (Also, as a side note, does this kind of feel like Hickman admitting that the Justice League would whup the shit out of the Avengers? I mean...) The only saving grace here is that Black Bolt and Spectrum are off world here, working on the bomb from our world, and maybe they'll come back with some sort of compromise? However, that's definitely the dumbest thing to hope for, as Black Bolt can't talk, won't be willing to do so even if he could, and Spectrum seems to be the GL analog; not exactly a winning combo. So, we've gotten to the point where the elite heroes of the Marvel Universe are going to willingly, knowingly and purposefully destroy another world to save their own. Man, this is a dark book.

New Avengers Annual 1 - Pretty art. Complementary to the story of Stephen Strange in the regular issue. But not quite to my taste.

Rachel Rising 26 - So, we're fully transitioning, and I'm in firm support of that, Although I can never remember the little girl's name (Zoe?) she's serving as a perfect spoiler. While she's hanging out with the good guys, they shouldn't ever let it occur in their minds that she actually is one of them. Amongst the scenes that Rachel sees when she picks up her knife are The Fall, Abraham's sacrifice, Hitler, the Crusades, the atomic bomb, and at least a couple more. Meanwhile, I don't know if we're supposed to know what's happening with Aunt Johnny, as I don't remember anything involving her head, but that might just be my poor memory. Last but not least, we have official confirmation that the priest is not, in fact, dead, as we'd suspected. It's terrible the way things awful happen in this book and we just let them go because we expect them. But that's what makes it great, too.

Saga 20 - Something terrible happens. And indeed it does, but it's nowhere near what we've been conditioned to think of since BKV knows how to mess with our emotions. Turns out, when you're telling a story that you've termed a saga, there are going to be many sides to that story. Yup. So, we can see in this issue where the last page of the last issue might be taking us, but more to the point of the description, we can see how even the bad guys aren't necessarily bad guys. (It'd be an interesting side story to see what would happen if The Will saw Prince Robot IV on Sextillion there and realized that he was quite literally out of his head. Would there have been an intervention? Are those sorts of actions reserved for little girls? Is that OK?) The janitorial staff massacre that ends the issue was shocking because, despite the fact that this book takes place during a war, despite our having seen horrific acts of violence before in this book, these felt more...raw. And, of course, I'd be negligent if I didn't mention Alana's drug trip, which was incredible and that splash page, which was even more so. Obviously, the person who buys that page is the envy of my life.

Trees 2 - The beginning was very interesting, so I'm throwing this on the list for now. This one, though, was too complicated for me. I feel like I've been thrown into the deep end. I'm giving it more time, like I said, but I have no idea what's happening in the lab, or with the guy that might be crazy, or the new girl who vomited, or the president who's an economist, or the journalist who came to visit him, and especially not with the girl who's dating the gangster, who apparently imagined a dude running away from her, but pulling a knife on her. Ellis always messes me up.

Book of the week goes to Mind MGMT. It's hard to reconcile the fact that we have both Saga and this book being produced on a regular basis.

No comments: