Monday, May 26, 2014

comics for the week of 05/21/14.

School's out for the summer.

Buffy 3 - Wow. I was not of the opinion that Nicholas Brendan writing this book was much of an idea, much less a good one, not to mention the great way this turned out! It was really, really close to the tone of what I expect from a Buffy comic - and I really think he made the difference. Of course, it helps that he's got a natural in, playing with characters where he got to show off some seriously cheesy chops in the show, hamming it up with Dracula again. But it didn't end there. The dialogue between Willow and Buffy, the love dynamic between Xander and Dawn, it all rang true. I'm a huge fan of this book three issues in and, while I didn't see Dracula's turn coming, I don't believe that Xander is all the way gone, either. Things are going pretty well for the gang, and I don't think there's any sign of a big bad rearing his ugly head yet - unless you count the strange behavior of the cop in last issue, here only alluded to. Great stuff all the way around.

Daredevil 3 - Hah. Another great issue of another great series with another great creative team. This book is really rolling by this (early - kinda) point and it's lovely to see Samnee and Waid keeping up with their unique take. The way they've evolved the Owl, the cool team-up of the Shroud and Daredevil, the totally trite, but lovely, last page cliffhanger - it felt just like a comic book should. Plus, Dave Jordan pointed out the Saga homage, which was a fine touch. The thing is, it's almost perfect. I mean, I just don't have any complaints. It's incredible proof of what a comic book can do in the 21st century.

East of West 12 - Another killer (pun totally intended) issue of the complicated mess of things. I'm not going to pretend that I have any clearer idea of what's happening than I ever had, but I do know this: things continue to escalate. There are plenty of tribes, I have no idea what the alliances are, and we didn't even get to see Death in this issue. Just the old folks trying to rig the game so they can last a little bit longer. In that regard, it reminds me of our own real world. Small surprise that war is coming.

Invincible 111 - Holy crap. After the slow burn of the last issue, I wasn't convinced that the cover to this one wasn't just a gag of some kind. But man oh man, it was not. This is getting crazier and crazier and it's only going to continue. I'm not truly convinced that Cecil is dead (I mean, Nick Fury would have some kind of backup, LMD, etc. and Cecil is even more realistic/paranoid than Nick) but it was vicious and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the end of the matter. The Eve bit, I thought, was going to be even worse. And basically....that's all. We got some solid set up, but Rex's resignation in the words, "Let the slaughter begin," was apparent and it's really going to get going next issue. This is going to change everything.

Saga 19 - I don't even know how to talk about how good it was to have it back and how hard that last page was to read. The art is perfect, the parallels in the story were amazing and the way the cast has all grown is incredible. This is the book everyone should be reading. Period.

Unwritten: Apocalypse 5 - Pauly Bruckner. Just like we knew since issue 12, he's going to be a vital part. And was there any doubt that was Cain masquerading as Mr. WOO the whole time? I mean, Pullman. The idea of the stairs and their relationship with the stories and the world most of the characters are living in now is a curious one. Pauly has truly changed in the course of this series and it's going to be fascinating to see where and how he ends up. His feelings on Wilson are pretty clear, while his ambivalence about Tom(my) is the only thing that might save them all. We'll see if this rabbit has one more trick to pull out of his magic bag - it may be the thing that they all rely upon eventually.

Thor: God of Thunder 22 - This book just continues to get better and better. We didn't see any of the youngest Thor in this issue and that was for the best. While he's clearly the weakest of the three characters, that's also not a condemnation of him. It's just when something is this good, even ordinarily great things are going to look weak in comparison. There was no cliffhanger when it was revealed that old Thor was flying in the opposite direction, but what he was going to retrieve is a great tie-in to the previous stories and really makes this run feel like a complete thing. Meanwhile, in current day, modern Thor is getting his first glimpse of the minotaur and I feel like that's going to be the turning point; he now has knowledge with which to fight his enemy, which feels like a classic bad guy screw up. Oh well, I hate him anyway, so it's good that he'll soon be beaten - but probably not vanquished. Also, we didn't even get to the coolest part: Thor's granddaughters showing up to continue his fight against Galactus, getting named, and showcasing their weapons and abilities. It was awesome, maybe the best issue of the series thus far?

Book of the week goes to Daredevil. While Saga impacted me the most, DD is what I look for when I look at comics. Even though I'm transitioning out of the superheroes and more exclusively reading the indie stuff, you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at this list. And that's because the superheroes still have my heart.

No comments: