Monday, November 18, 2013

comics for the week of 11/13/13.

I'm keeping track of the Ultimate Universe Cataclysm stuff, too. It's good, but only in the way it was good before. Ultimate Spider-Man's title is incredible, Pichelli's art is gorgeous and I'm still concerned that they're going to throw away a good thing. Cloak and Dagger are cool characters and the crossover book looks horrible. I am, however, interested in the presence of 616 Galactus in the Ultimate Universe.

All New X-Men 18 - Immonen's art is still superb, but the relationships felt forced. Kitty's joking around with Scott by the third page? Really? But the moments they all get to shine (Iceman kinda sorta hitting on Eva Bell, her leaving and his falling asleep; the Cuckoos with Jean, wondering whether one of them will actually go red, so I can finally kinda sorta tell them apart; Hank's tension with Magneto and then the soap opera with Jean; all broken up by Cyke. Crazy to think that he might be one of the most sane people in this group, given all the things that he's had to learn about himself. Sure, Jean's died, Hank's grappling with physical [and maybe mental] mutation, and Iceman's a flake, as always, but Cyclops is the only one who's truly a BAD GUY.) are incredible. The character moments with Illyana and Kitty are cute, too, but they feel a little forced. I'm not up on my X history enough to know how it all ended with either of them when it comes to Colossus, but I did think it was curious that Kitty naturally put her defenses up and that neither of them commented on the negative ramifications of that action. But after that, when you put the pieces all together again, even Immonen's art can't make those new costumes look good. They look generic and 90s throwback in the worst way, but the actual worst thing about them are Angel's horrible, horrible line. (BTW, what's up Bendis? Just can't think of anything for Angel?) And the ending involves Jean going down her inevitable path to crazytown and a Cerebro going off. Cute. People have accused various X characters of having an obsession with Jean Grey? It's clearly the writers. It's a cute book and all, but it's kind of devolved into what I initially feared when the concept was revealed. It got A LOT better than that in the middle, so I'll stick around for a while. But I'm hesitant.

Thor: God of Thunder 15 - Oh Jason Aaron. You're amazing. What a great addition to the Thor mythos you're crafting. Seriously, this run has been incredible. I'm not a totally fair or completely unbiased judge, because I've never cared enough about Thor to read his title. I tried the JMS, I've read the old Simonson stuff, it's just never been for me. I don't care about the character. But Jason Aaron has done the trick. And now, with this arc, with its perfect parallels with the movie (just enough of some of the same characters, but none of the same story, just the way it should be), I'm totally won over. If he can write epic stuff like the Godbomb story and then Hollywood-lite stuff like this...? It's superb. Here, we see Thor as a strategist, bringing his team together (via drinks) and his trapping of Malekith and his band in Jotunheim. But the ending, as any good comic reader knows, flips the script. So now we're set up for a pretty climactic battle next issue and I'm loving it. I hate Ron Garney's art normally, but even that isn't bothering me during this arc. The hallmark of a truly fantastic writer is that he can make art I don't really care for not even stand out of irksome. Incredible.

The Walking Dead 116 - Well, sure, we get the first chapter of All Out War (second, I suppose, but first with any real fighting) and it's good and it shows that Rick's got several plans and that he's learned from his own past. But it also, intriguingly shows that he's ready and willing to die. I don't want to do the fanboy thing of pinning my hopes too hard on a kind of far-fetched idea, but...the timing couldn't be better. The Walking Dead is ESTABLISHED. Let's do it. Kill the main character. It'd be awesome. On a non-indulgent note, Rick really should have stayed behind with Holly when she stole his plan and his car and should have just shot Negan in the head when he was waiting for her outside the car. That's some bullshit. It's a good plan, but since the event lasts 12 issues, we can assume it's not going to work. I look forward to seeing why. Also, one can only assume that Dwight is going to be very, very pissed off that their original plan would have sacrificed him? His treachery was evident when he didn't go send off for the outposts, but he's going to have to be around Negan for quite a bit longer. I think something awful is coming up in that realm.

Book of the week goes to Thor. There's no chance for anything else when this book is firing on all cylinders like it did this week.

No comments: