Monday, November 4, 2013

comics for the week of 10/30/13.

Good thing there's so many good alterna-press books.

Avengers 22 - So, Infinity gets to be a two-part event and here we get to see the pivot? OK, sure, I'll go with that, but I'll also say this: the best part of the issue is when Captain Marvel asks if what Thanos is doing makes sense and Annihilus responds, "Yesssssssssss." Hilarious. And it's not that the issue was bad, it's just that...well, where's it all going? It's as my buddy Dave points out: it didn't take this long for Hickman's Fantastic Four run to hammer me with emotions. And so far it's only happened once in all of Hickman's Avengers World arc. And that's not a bad thing, I guess, if he's playing a MUCH LONGER game, but I don't find myself caring all that much. I like the little bits, like with Thor and Manifold (still the stupidest. name. ever.) at the end, but there are so few of them and so much in between that I just don't have the faith in Hickman that I was preaching 1-2 years ago. I'm still riding with him, but I won't preach his gospel anymore.

Infinity 5 - This is where we get to see the start of the Avengers World. And it's clear that this is where Avengers was going from the very beginning. Which is cool to see that Marvel is giving Hickman that much rope. But, overall...if this is the fifth book of a massive crossover...I shouldn't feel so lost. I know that the Avengers books are tied in and maybe I'll feel better when I read it, but I'm not sure we should HAVE to. I like that Cap and Thor and Hulk (but mostly Cap) have garnered all these galactic accolades and that the Kree and the Shi'ar are willing to follow them into battle and that they're willing to do so for Earth but...I don't find myself caring much.

Saga 15 - This is the best book. And the ending was killer. (No pun honestly intended, because I don't think it's going that direction.) But the best part of it was the game inside a game inside a game that the family (and its newest member - not Hazel) were playing. Alana is always a direct character and I'm well aware of the history of how this book has portrayed sex, but it's always surprising when she just comes right out with it. I love the role the nanny is playing and I can't wait to see what happens with Prince Robot.

X-Men Battle of the Atom 2 - So, this was fun and I like where they're going with it and it's clear that it was meant mainly to establish the All-New X-Men as a presence here for a while, which it did, but it also came out to get MORE time-displaced characters here? Ugh. I liked the Nightcrawler references in the epilogues and the art in at least one of them, but Esad Ribic was not the right choice for the main part of the issue. The Cyclops stuff was incredible, as was the Jubilee/Shogo relationship, in all its iterations. However, the winner (as always) goes to the Icemen, who are the perfect comic relief in all their forms. Overall, it was a cool idea, but it could have been about half the length and it still would have worked out. I'm worried that Xavier and alterna-Jean Grey (Xorn) are still going to be around and they're going to be beating that idea to death. So let's hope that doesn't tarnish the greatness that this started with.

Book of the week goes to Saga. Nothing else was amazing, much less good. It's like Michael Jordan playing against a high school JV squad. Just goes to show what an amazing era we're living in if the content goes this deep.

No comments: