Monday, September 9, 2013

comics for the week of 09/04/13.

So, I did read the Battle of the Atom chapter one book and it was cool. And I thought I wasn't going to read anything outside of the books I was already getting, but then this week's issue came out and I can fully say: I'm on board.

All New X-Men 16 - OK, I'm not even done reading the issue yet, but I've got to get some notes out here. First of all, it's wonderful to have Immonen on this title! God, he kills it! Secondly, I love the fact that I've never read an issue of the rebooted Uncanny X-Men and yet, I get everything I need to know about the team from that opening spread. It feels like this might be an event done right. Third, the next double-page spread, with the introduction of the future X-Men is even more amazing. Deadpool's word balloons, the Icemen next to each other, Wolverine's sarcastic tone, just everything is really going right in this book at this time. I love that Charles Xavier's grandson is now a possibility and I love that Kitty jumps into Wolvie's arms after he figures out it's her by sniffing. I love the Beasts reactions to the older one. I was holding out hope that the scarfed girl was going to be M, but I don't know much about her current state in the X-Universe. However, as ex-Runaway is always cool. And so then, yeah, of course, we have Xorn, and we never get an introduction from her, but when it finally comes, oh boy, is it awesome. And I wouldn't want anyone else pencilling those pages because, honestly? I think this is a panel I'll remember for the rest of my life. To see her there, we all knew it was coming sometime, and we've had a lesser version of it right here in this book, but...Oh man. It's gorgeous. I have no idea where this crossover is going: Will the young kids get sent back? Are we on the way to a time apocalypse? Will some of the elder statesmen stay? I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that the Marvel Universe and the X-books are solidly fun again and that makes me love comics a little bit more everyday. You should read this book.

Invincible 105 - Kind of a filler issue, and most of it wasn't that great, but this is the kind of thing that Kirkman does really well. He makes us think that nothing's going on, but lots of stuff is stewing. We got a check in with Robot and his lady, which was funny, Even working as a housewife, some editorializing about the lack of female superheroes that Rex didn't really listen to, and then a great conversation between Mark and Nolan. Those last couple pages were the best of the issue, and while that's not a bad thing because they really were great, it just wasn't that great of an issue overall.

Trillium 2 - So, I'm not saying this is as good as Daytripper, but... If you're not buying this book, you're foolish. This has the chance to be a really special story. Lemire's work is on point here and the story has a lot going on already. It's clear that there's some rich backstory that we're going to get as this goes on, the only question, to me, is: when and where is this actually taking place? I think we've got some pretty major psychotropic answers in store for us and I love the fact that their shared drug-induced hallucination was the only moment where they opened up that connection, other than physical touch and the word Trillium. This is a fascinating story, well-drawn that's going to be talked about for a long, long time.

Book of the week goes to All New X-Men. The art, the story and the nostalgia outweigh the artistic gold from Lemire.

No comments: