Monday, October 22, 2012

comics for the week of 10/17/12.

My comic book collecting days are dwindling, I believe. I'm still gonna read a whole lot of them, but being overseas has really removed a lot of the impetus to keep up with the buying aspect. Good for me, bad for the industry? I do feel bad about it, but not that much.

Batwoman 13 - I mean, what more is there left to say with this book? It's entering Fables & Locke & Key territory, where every issue (with JH Williams on the pencils - an important caveat) is another superlative. There's not many more places Ican go with my over the top effusiveness. Here, we get to see another awesome shot at Wonder Woman, and I think it's way better than the first part. The way Williams is playing with the panels, the way that the mythos are overlapping, there's just so much happening on every page. This is something that you could go over with a microscope and still find stuff to be amazed about. This time around, the page that got me all wobbly was the mainly text page, with the silhouettes of the creatures on the double page spread. Just gorgeous, gorgeous stuff.

Before Watchmen: Minutemen 4 - Holy hell. This book is getting so deep. Darwyn Cooke is truly making some whole other level shit here. This Minutemen book is filled with the kind of agenda-filled writing that Watchmen was and if it's not as subtle, that doesn't make it not as good. The interactions that we're getting from the characters, the back stories that are being invented...these are SOLID developments. I can't really say it for any of the other Before Watchmen stuff, even the 2 other books that I personally really like, but this should be considered canon! Of course, we'll have to wait to see how it turns out, but if you're not reading this because you have some kind of stupid bias against the BW stuff, you are truly missing out. Here, Cooke weaves at least 4 tales that don't seem to be connected, but they all show how far the Minutemen have fallen. While Silhouette and Silk Spectre are tied together, so are Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis, as well as Hollis and Mothman, and finally, Sally and the Comedian, bringing the circle all the way back around on itself. This is superb storytelling and the tone is heartbreaking. It's incredible to see these characters fleshed out in such a thoughtful, provoking way.

Ultimate Spider-Man 16 - Nice to see an actual acknowledgment of the timeline overlap. The idea of Spidey being on the Ultimates, while not original, is a cool one and I'm glad to see the Ultimate Universe being more accepting in general of this Spider-Man. I have a feeling the situation with Miles' dad is going to work out in a way that I'm a fan of, with him learning that Miles is Spider-Man. I'm always in favor of the dramatic tension when someone knows the identity but doesn't WANT to know. I liked it in ASM with Aunt May, and I'd be more than willing to give it a go here. Plus, it feels like a natural fit: his dad's a pretty smart guy. This book should be getting better and it is, so I'll be sticking with it for sure.

Book of the week goes to Minutemen. This was...a masterpiece.

No comments: