Monday, July 30, 2012

comics for the week of 07/25/12.

"Sometimes murder's the price we pay to protect innocents." - X-Force is the best book (God, it's so good!) that I'm reading but not buying (shame) that isn't getting reviewed here. Marvel and DC have been chopped to all but the best, the Ultimate Universe and the Vertigo imprint. I'm satisfied with my decision.

Angel and Faith 12 - Diversion into Quor'toth, Connor shows signs of growing up, and the demons have a devil they fear. The worst thing, all issue long, for Angel? All the mention of Holtz, and the demon's belief that he's Connor's real father. Man, what a complicated universe. Willow's along for the ride, trying to bring magic back to Earth (my guess would be that she does, but then it's gone again? To set up the Fray universe? Maybe magic itself will end up being the big bad of this season of Angel and Buffy?) and Faith is having some bad times in the hell that makes your worst side come out. Back home, Giles' residence has been broken into by Whistler and his evil twins and it doesn't look so good for Giles' weirdo magical aunts.

Green Lantern 11 - A shining example of what DC can do when it ignores the reboot. (Animal Man & Swamp Thing serving as the examples on the other side of the greatness of it.) Here we get to see Hal and Sinestro leave Nok, Indigo promise a great battle with Sinestro, Sinestro's Batcave (very punny, Geoff!), Sinestro pretending not to care about the past and Abin Sur's daughter even though we know better, and a hint of things to come. The grand storyline in the Green Lantern Universe is an example of what Marvel is trying to do with their idea of turning books (and universes) over to creators, and though it's DC, not Marvel, and though Johns has lost a step, surely, it's a great sign of someone doing something that's a long term vision. And that's always a good sign.

Mind MGMT 3 - Page 12 is my new goal for original art work. Damn, this book is not only amazingly written, but it is so well-illustrated! Seriously, it's unbelievable. In this issue, Meru finds Lyme and is promised answers, but we are cut off before we actually get any. Not that there's anything wrong with that, because I know next issue is going to be amazing. Here, we have plenty of amazing to embrace as well: dolphins as secret agents who can speak and spell, the bad guys (maybe?) as hallucinogenic demons, Meru as a warrior-princess and the amazing notes in the margins, as usual. I'm not sure of the CIA's role, but neither is Meru, and, to be honest, I'm not even sure who's really who at this point. I mean, I'd assume that the demons were bad guys, but I'm going to be pretty careful about making assumptions when it comes to this series. Best book currently coming out? I think yes.

Ultimates 13 - Welllllll...as cute as it was to see the Big Three back together in the Ultimate Universe in this book, the art was god awful, the plot was loosely thrown together, and, honestly, without Hickman at the stead, I have no faith in this storyline. I had high hopes for the Ultimate Universe, with the Divided We Fall storyline bringing everything back together, and the last issue of Ultimate X-Men was good, but this is definitely the weakest of the bunch right now. There's no way I'll continue to buy this book.

Wolverine and the X-Men 14 - Another guest penciller. Another interception with the Avengers vs. X-Men storyline. I'm done with this book until this shit is over. (I'm hoping it's next month, because I've been loving it.) I just can't stand this. It's too bad because the Kitty/Colossus romance is one of the best the X-Universe has and this book wasn't bad. But I just can't keep going with this. I'll give it post-Avs.X to see if it makes the cut, if not, it'll join the rest of the mainstream Marvel & DC in being cut from the list.

Book of the week goes to Mind MGMT. If you're not reading this series, you're going to feel like you did when you missed Preacher and Sandman and Y: The Last Man and all of the greatest series to come out in the last 20 years. Seriously. Step your game up.

No comments: