Tuesday, July 3, 2012

comics for the week of 06/27/12.

Thinking of dropping all Marvel and DC titles over the course of next year, during the move.

Angel and Faith 11 - I wasn't able to grab this issue this week. Did it actually come out? I'll tackle it next time.

FF 19 - I liked this issue, but I'll be honest: I didn't buy it. I'm happy with my decision to jump ship on the FF titles, as the Wakanda storyline still doesn't interest me at all. For what it's worth, I think this is cool, they're doing good things, but I'm just not interested in non-Hickman-written stories, in this case. Here, we get to see the kids audition another young girl, unbeknownst to anyone. She passes, it's fun, and the kids all have a grand old time. Nothing bad, just not for me.

Spider-Men 2 - This is what the book should have been from the get go. Peter was perfect, Miles played this exactly the way he should have, and that's going to frustrate me to no end in his own book, but cool, young Fury (as Parker put it) makes the right call, too. Mysterio looks to be the one from the 616 Universe after all, I'm totally willing to be wrong on that call last month, but that won't affect my enjoyment of the story. I'm glad this is happening. I'm glad Bendis is writing it. And I'm glad that Sara Pichelli's pencils appear to have picked up from last month, because this was a much more beautiful issue than last go round. Good work.

Ultimates 12 - This is what I was waiting for. Reed (seems) to get his comeuppance, Sue's back, Tony talking to himself is explained (in a totally Hickman/Ultimate Universe way) and the stories are coalescing once again. It's nice to see that Tony can back up his comments about being the real genius of the group and it's nice to see that Reed, in typical villain fashion, lets hubris get in his way. Thor's coming in, Sue's got Reed wrapped up tight and, hopefully, Cap's return is going to tie everything all together next month, the way it should have been this whole time.

Wolverine and the X-Men 12 - Ahhhh! This book was so disjointing! I'm not reading Avengers vs. X-Men, really, and I don't want to. I should know better than to expect anything other than being forced to when the book is called Wolverine and the X-Men, I know, but I thought I could rely on Jason Aaron to avoid the pitfall. I guess even he's got a boss. The good thing about this issue was the focus on Rachel Grey, who is an amazing character. I wish she and Hope could have more interaction and would be contrasted by more people. They're great foils and they have great potential. But, honestly, there was nothing in this issue for me.

Book of the week goes to the Ultimates for getting that Universe back on track, back to the way it should be, and hopefully serving as a spring board for the rest of the titles. Let's have some continuity!

No comments: