Monday, June 18, 2012

comics for the week of 06/13/12.

It's time to continue the cutting. This is getting ridiculous. I can't keep buying comics that I'm not truly loving. Sorry, DC, you're gonna be the biggest victim.

Batman 10 - Welp. This is the worst issue of the new run of Batman. I still have faith in Scott Snyder, no matter which way he chooses to play this cliffhanger, but it's a pretty bad single issue regardless. I don't want to rehash old ground of a soap opera twist, and I'll feel cheated if it's just the ravings of a crazy man. However, the biggest thing that's going to bother me is how many people are going to say it's a great story, but were the same people raving against Morrison and the Black Hand and the Thomas Wayne possibility. The Court of Owls has passed, thankfully, so let's focus on the new guy - is he going to be the Talon in the book that's going to launch? I hope not.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 10 - This was a step in the right direction, especially after the epic mess that this title has become the last few issues. Buffy gets to confront Simone and talk to the body that Andrew ripped her out of, and things are sorted out pretty quickly (a bit too much so, for sure). Spike is on the way out, for his own miniseries, which makes me wonder what the point of it all was. This has easily been the worst arc of any of the Buffy comics, including the entirety of Season 8, which most people hated. I'm hopeful that there will be some long-term ramifications from this arc, otherwise it was a waste of a few months. The story has a weak conclusion, with Buffy quitting her job, but at least there's forward momentum. Try to hang on to it.

Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre 1 - This issue wasn't nearly as strong as Minutemen, but it still struck the right vibe. Connor's artwork is really a great fit for the whole Before Watchmen idea. The story goes a little too fast for my taste, but I don't know where they're going to take it, either, so I'm comfortable taking the ride so far.

Fantastic Four 607 - The start of another story, this one involving the ancient history of Wakanda. Turns out T'Challa doesn't want Reed's help getting the Vibranium back to what it was - there's something more sinister! Yeah, I don't really care about T'Challa or Wakanda and this, finally, might be my jump off point. Like I said after Johnny came back, I know that Hickman is leaving this title, and I just don't think I have it in me to stick around and be disappointed by whomever has the bad fortune of following him up. So, if we're going to spend some time overseas, then I think my time has come. There's definitely no insult intended - Hickman has crafted, in my opinion, the greatest Fantastic Four story ever told. I applaud him for that, but I want to leave it on a high note.

Green Lantern 10 - The Indigo Tribe storyline finally wraps up. It's a good one, and I'm happy with the progression of the relationship between Hal and Sinestro, but there's a lot left to be said about Indigo 1, too. The way that this book continues to deftly maneuver around the DCnU reboot is the best thing about it, because these are the characters that we've all come to know and love for the last X amount of years. However, I get the feeling that the GL titles (even though this is the only one I'm reading) are gearing up for another massive crossover, which bodes ill for this (self-contained) universe and the characters inside it - Johns has passed that prime. He's at his best when he's doing exactly this: laying down a solid story with a couple characters. Give him too much rope for that next story and he just may hang himself.

Invincible 92 - Zandale has a weird relationship with his parents and Mark has a weird relationship with everyone. Robot and Monster Girl have a weird relationship with each other, but at least part of it is finally explained. Spoiler alert: They've been alive more than 700 years. Wow. Yeah, we're gonna learn more, but that's a hell of a start. Mark's powers may or may not come back (my bet, obviously, is on yes) but he's having a hard time adjusting already. Finally, Zandale is in a weird place. It's hard to feel sympathy for him, given the dickish nature that we're already seen him exude, but...Damn. The guy's got it rough in some areas that aren't his fault. I'm anxious to see Dinosaurus come back and have Thragg's master plan revealed.

Resurrection Man 10 - I'm sad this book is going to be canceled, but I hope that with the announcement, they've allowed Abnett and Lanning enough time to finish up their story in a semi-competent manner. It's a fun book, but I knew it wouldn't sell enough copies to justify a continued existence. Mitch Shelley doesn't really fit in, whether that's the old DCU, or the DCnU. Here's to hoping he can find the lab in the week he's bought himself, figure out the girl's no good, find a way to outsmart both Heaven and Hell, and get some kind of guest spot in some corner of the DCnU - maybe JL Dark?

Spider-Men 1 - Not as good as I wanted it to be. Sara Pichelli's art felt really flat in the 616 Universe, although it was cool that we could tell (assuming this is right) that the Mysterio was from the Ultimate Universe right away. It's nice to recognize that distinction. However, as far as set up issues go, it was middle of the road: I know they've got to explain how we all get where we're going, but the issue still felt like not a lot happened. Bummer, because I really wanted to LOVE this, but just because I didn't doesn't mean I won't be buying the rest of it. I liked it, and I have faith that the story will be worth reading. (Best note in the book? When the guy he just saved tells Peter that his costume is in bad taste. Good to see that line still running.)

Ultimate X-Men 13 - The art by Paco Medina is so damn beautiful that it's hard to focus on the story here, but we'll (finally!) be grateful that we do so. After suffering the most out of all the Ultimate Universe books, X-Men finally feels like it's back on track. Kitty Pryde decides that she's been sulking in the sewers for long enough, and that there are things that need to be done. Her symbolic shedding of her costume is cool and so is the fact that she tells the kiddos not to come along on the Great X-Men Journey. What's disappointing is Johnny Storm staying behind, not because I think it's a bad decision on his part, but rather because it'll reinforce the mutants vs. humans idea. Finally, though, we're going to see some of these vaunted new X-Men. Let's do it!

Book of the week goes to Invincible. Of all the titles above, Invincible is the one that showcases how to continue writing a kickass comic month after month after month. To some people, that continuity might get boring, but one man's stale is another man's rock solid.

No comments: