Monday, April 2, 2012

comics for the week of 03/28/12.

Intro.

Angel and Faith 8 - At this point, I'm kind of in stand-by mode with the Buffy- and Angel-verse. I'm happy with where Angel & Faith is heading, and, at one point, I might have even been enjoying it more than the Buffy book, but with the revelations in Buffy, I'm not sure where anything is going! That said, this was a solid issue that stayed away from any mention of that stuff. I love that Faith's dad is a solidly bad guy and that Faith, as opposed to Angel, is now the one on the verge of cracking up. A great issue.

FF 16 - Of course I didn't drop it. And I'm glad I didn't. Hickman is still crafting one of the finest stories I've ever read, and I'm going to go on record as saying this is the best Fantastic Four story ever. Granted, that's coming from a non-FF fan. I haven't read a lot of FF stories. I know this. But I'm familiar with the mythos and I've read a decent share. I've been a comic book fan for 20+ years, and this is as good as I can remember ever feeling about the First Family. Regardless, this issue focuses on the cleanup on New York as well as Valerie's side of things. It appears as though older Val mindreads younger Val at one point, but I'm sure that's not the case. I'm sure she's just remembering. The end, with Doom, is impressive in so many ways. When this omnibus comes out, collecting all of Hickman's story, you'd be a fool to skip it.

The Ultimates 8 - This book gets things back on track, because at least now we're dealing with the present. The Hulk is tearing up the city and Zorn goes after the Children. The President authorizes the Ultimates being taken down, as well as launching all of the US' nukes at the City. Xorn is still up with Fury and Clint while all this is going on, but I can hazard a guess that none of them will be too pleased at this direction. I'm not really sure where they're going to go from here, as I can't see much coming back, but if I've learned anything, it's not to doubt Hickman. And also, that future-Reed-with-helmet is impossible to overestimate. He might just stop all those nukes with a wave of his hand. He's worked his voodoo on Bruce already, I'm looking forward to seeing what he's going to do next.

The Unwritten 35.5 - An interesting direction to go, but I guess I shouldn't be second-guessing this book at this point. It appears as though we've got a new intermediary for our new (from last issue) big bad, but who knows if that's actually going to play out the way I've predicted. The fact of the matter is that I was a little worried about ending the story two weeks ago, and how this issue would fit into the grand scheme of things, but it was great. It was intriguing to see a lot of the events that we're familiar with from the other side of things. Good work.

Book of the week goes to FF for proving me wrong in the best kind of way.

No comments: