Monday, January 30, 2012

comics for the week of 1/25/12.

Marvel is taking over.

Angel and Faith 6 - "Daddy Issues" part one and it's a doozy. The appearances at the end might not have been surprises, but they felt surprising nonetheless. I'm loving the character of Alasdair Coames more and more. I hope he's going to get a more prominent place in the book as it's becoming more and more clear that Giles is dead and gone. This opens up the possibility of seeing more flashbacks, like we get to in this issue, and moving on at the same time. Keeping a foot planted in the past while looking to the future: a proud Buffy tradition.

FF 14 - I'm loving how these stories are interacting, but it makes me worry that FF is, essentially, a limited series. After this epic storyline is done, will Hickman still have two books' worth of story to tell? My hope is yes, because it's great to get this much. Here we get to see some of the backstory with Val and Nathaniel Richards preparing for the war that's coming up. We also, of course, see some modern day. I can't really keep all the kids in the FF straight, because I'm not convinced they all matter, but it's not that important to me. The revelation that all they needed was 27 minutes was great, and super believable. The lines from Doom, though, top anything that came in any of the other books this week: "I am Doom. Destroyer of worlds. What Gods dare stand against me?" and "I am Doom. The damned... Do you worst. I will remain unmoved!" Man. What a character.

Fantastic Four 602 - The other side of the story. Galactus is summoned, he declares it to be the wrong time, but the right time creeps up on him (and the heroes) pretty damn quickly. Johnny is still great in his new, powerful role. The intersection of Kree, Inhuman, Annihilation Wave and Galactus is still confusing to me, because I'm not exactly a fan of the cosmic stuff, but the Celestials are nothing to mess around with, clearly, so it's a good thing they're all there.

The Flash 5 - I never thought I would say this, but...I'm going to drop a book with art by Francis Manapul. It's just not good enough of a story. Here we have (kind of) the conclusion of the Mob Rule story, with the turning of Manuel into a bad guy. But I don't care. The return of Captain Cold next month might be enough to interest me to read it in the store, and if it's great, sure, I'll buy it, but... There's very little in this book to compel me to read. If all I'm doing is looking at pictures, well, I can Google some Manapul pencils anytime.

Justice League 5 - Another book that's on the chopping block. I will not be following up on this storyline, although I will finish this one. Really, reading through this issue, I found nothing to like. The pencils, which I still have to defend to my friends, felt flat. The reveal from Bats to Hal that he was Bruce Wayne felt ridiculous, especially with Hal's reaction. The capture of Superman felt anticlimactic and the way GL got punked by Darkseid felt appropriate. There wasn't much here for anyone, I feel, as none of the other characters got any play, other than Flash, who's apparently learned nothing in five years, as he's still trying to figure out "thinking fast" and vibrating through things in his own book. This is a poor reflection on the DCnU.

The Ultimates 6 - On the other hand, this is how you build a bold, new universe. Brian Braddock in a coma, Jamie going off on his father, Sam Wilson being given permission by the villain Reed Richards to explore the City. Man, there was so much in here and I haven't even gotten to the Cap section yet! The only beef I had with this issue is Reed's extended head, which was obviously supposed to be a big reveal, was then drawn like a normal one on the next page. Poor communication. But the possibility of Nick Fury and Clint Barton assembling a new team (that involves Jean Grey!) is more than enough of a hook to keep me on the line.

The Unwritten 33.5 - As happy as I am to see some of the origin of the Marionette Lady, I was a bit disappointed not to get to see more of Pullman. As I mentioned last time, he's such a strong character that I didn't mind at all that the two half issues focused on him. That being said, this was a seriously disturbed issue where we see that this lady (Mme. Rausch!) is more than justified in her cruelty - at least at this stage of her life. The soldier who adopts her is a good soul, sure, but he also should have recognized some of the terrible, terrible things that were happening, not just to her, but around her/because of her. Yes, what happened to her was awful, but you've gotta be able to see the forest for the trees.

Book of the week is FF. While it may not be long-lasting, it feels epic in scope now, and really lets Hickman do work on something (this War storyline) that deserves that long view. Here's to hoping when they do the inevitable hardcover that they combine both this book and the mainline Fantastic Four, alternating issues.

No comments: