Thursday, July 21, 2011

netflix is confusing.

So, sometimes, I disappear for summers. Sorry, yeah, that happened. The good news (for those who care) is that usually, when I come back, there's been a spate of activity for me to comment on and it's as though this is an actual blog for a while. (For those of you outside of your comfort zone, don't worry: we'll get back to comic recaps and lazy sports blogging soon enough.)

The basic gist of this post is that, while I was hanging out in Seattle, apparently, Netflix went a little cuckoo. Raising your rates by that much, at one time, is probably not a sound business strategy. And we could sit here and debate the history of such moves, or the political nature of the Internet and the ISPs that led Netflix to think that it could or had to make this move. But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as what actually happened.

People, essentially, split in half.

On the one hand, you had some people who thought this move was solid confirmation of Lucifer's reincarnation.

On the other hand, you had some people who thought that we'd been getting too sweet a deal for too long.

As usual when sides disagree this vociferously, the real truth is somewhere in the middle. Obviously, I tend to side a bit more with Mindy C, not just because she's my friend, but because, well, hey, look, I still have a Netflix subscription, and I don't forsee that changing any time soon.

(Sidenote here to say that I did find it extremely odd that I missed literally all of this news. I wasn't listening to the news or reading tech blogs and my subscription was on hold - even though it rolled past where it was supposed to:



so when I returned home and reintegrated with the world, I was more than a bit flabbergasted. To this day, I've still received no email or documentation from Netflix themselves. Odd, to say the least.)

But here's thing thing: the haters have a point. (They always do.) It's been said that no press is bad press. But that's not true and we've all known it for far longer than we've known what the word infamous means. Netflix might survive - I hope they do, I enjoy the services they provide - but it can't be sitting around in its boardrooms, having meetings saying, "Hey, at least they're talking about us."

Plus, when you get down to the bottom line, I'm of the belief that price hikes are ultimately bad for consumers. Netflix suffers a bit, but lives through it, therefore Apple and Amazon and Wal=Mart, et. al. see that they can do so, too. Our bills go up even more. Bummer.

But, bouncing back to the other side, we've been streaming movies. We don't have to go somewhere to pick up the disc. It's convenient! And, even more so, it's putting a burden on the resources upon which we rely to get us that very medium. Can't even barely browse the Internet when every fool's streaming movies, eh?

So...what to do? Netflix made their choice. And I promise, no matter which side of the debate you fall onto, it'll be OK. Different? Yeah. But still OK.

No comments: