Tuesday, May 17, 2011

comics for the week of 05/11/11.

Some nice variety. For a change.

Batgirl 21 - The Reapers continue their assault, this time with a music student who can transform sound into energy. Batgirl has a few problems with her, but, spoiler alert, manages to defeat her. The real point to this issue was the development with the Grey Ghost, as he's getting primed to become her nemesis. He's a lame one at this point, but she's still getting her feet wet and it'll be cool to have them develop and come up together.

FF 3 - Nice twist to this issue, even though I should have seen it coming. Basically anytime that Dr. Doom is involved with the FF or with the Marvel Universe at large, I think, is a good time. So, has all this stuff with the other Reeds been happening in the background this whole time? Is that the takeaway that we're supposed to grasp? Because I want this action to build to a head sooner rather than later. I want a major war and I want to see some hardcore Doom action. And I think I will. It's gonna be awesome.

Flashpoint 1 - Way better than I expected it to be. I was discussing with Dave Jordan that I don't really care for either Kubert's art, but it didn't bother me too badly in this issue. I was intrigued by the different world stuff, as I almost always am, but it also felt like it would, inevitably, not matter. The twist at the end with Batman was cool, and I didn't see it coming, which was refreshing, but I also have this feeling of ennui when it comes to this book that nothing is going to matter and it's all a big waste of time. I'll stick with it, though, because that's what addicts do.

The Flash 12 - This one had mixed art from Kolins & Manapul, which is an improvement over just Kolins, but still isn't the book as advertised or promised. Zoom getting to kill alternaBarry (or Hot Pursuit, who proves with his immediate death what a worthless character he was) was the best thing about the issue, which is good for the villain sympathizers, but bad if you're pulling for the hero of a book. Barry Allen just feels so flat. It was a mistake to bring him back and it's a waste of Geoff Johns and Francis Manapul's talents to have them half-assing this book.

Moon Knight 1 - Well, even though I saw the preview of the art, I still thought it would be all right. And the last page was a cool reveal. But I just don't know if I can justify buying this book for Maleev's art when it's soooo different. I don't mind change, but this is clearly change for the worse. His art does not look as good as it normally does (and I know someone told me the real reason why and, more importantly, I know that's a totally subjective thing, but...) and I don't care that much about Moon Knight, so I don't see myself continuing with this book.

The New Avengers 12 - Surprise, that Cap at the end of last issue turned out to not really be Cap. And...Mockingbird is still on the operating table. Meanwhile, some stuff happened back in the 1950s but none of it mattered or matters because we haven't heard about it until now. Oh, but Victor Creed, Sabertooth, in case you forgot about him, was still a badass. Like you always knew he was. The good news? That waste of a story is done and it looks like we'll actually have some plot development with Victoria Hand and the HAMMER issue. That'll be good. Or just get Bendis back to writing pure dialogue issues between Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Spider-Man and Wolverine. Those are gold.

The Unwritten 25 - The second arc of the story begins with a bang as Tom spits out of a jar of water and immediately gets to work with Lizzie and Savoy on perpetuating his myth as well as getting back some old belongings of his father. Savoy seems to have taken to being a vampire exceptionally well, and Lizzie hops right back in the sack with Tom, so things are going well. That is, until they fall into a trap. Which, you know, is a drag. I don't know how many other ways I can put it: if you're not reading this book, and you claim to like comics, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Book of the week goes to the Unwritten in a runaway. There were some otherwise good books, but this one is head and shoulders above the rest.

No comments: