Thursday, May 5, 2011

comics for the week of 04/26/11.

A thick week for the stack. Which probably means that next week I won't get any books. It's a weird time for me as a comic fan. Add in some of the news that I'm legally not allowed to talk about, and it's been a fun time.

Action Comics 900 - Lex. With the power....of a GOD! And it's handled damn well. Seriously. It might be hard to believe, but it shouldn't be for anyone who's read any of Paul Cornell's run on Action Comics. It's sad to lose the Lex Luthor on the front cover, but this is a fitting end. And the real end, the one that's been in the news, with Superman...wow. It's impressive. If they stick with this, and they really roll with it the way they can and should, it can entertain for years. I'm confident in DC right now, and a big reason why is because of the fact that they've made me care about Superman. From "For Tomorrow" on there have been great arcs pretty consistently on Superman. It's all because of a guy named Geoff Johns. You might have heard of him and he's left a legacy here. 900 issues is a hell of an accomplishment, and Superman keeps on prevailing, even in a world that's gone through the likes of Batman, Wolverine, Image, and back all the way around.

Detective Comics 876 - This is the best Bat book. Period. Scott Snyder is writing the hell out of this book and Jock's pencils are pitch perfect. I love the idea that this book is actually embracing its title and looking at some of the darker mysteries of Gotham City. I love that Dick Grayson is the guy who's solving those mysteries. I hope this book never changes. This issue starts a new three-issue arc called Hungry City which starts with one of the more impressive two page spreads that I've seen in a long, long time. The interaction between Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon is also super impressive, and I LOVE the fact that we don't see as much of Batman with the Comish, in contrast to this relationship. The way that the past has come back, here with Zucco, and in the last arc with Jim's son, James, seems to be a speciality of Snyder's and I'm quite a fan of it.

FF 2 - I didn't think I was going to buy this book. I thought it would be a one and done for me, just out of curiosity of what Hickman did at the end of Fantastic Four. I liked all that, but I'm not an FF Fan. But when I saw Doom on the cover and I flipped through the book in the store, I couldn't help myself. And I was right! This book was so, so, so, so good. The way that Hickman nails the family interactions of Reed, Sue and Ben is everything I've ever wanted from a FF book and the interloper nature of Spider-Man proves that he's in the right place. This book is going to be amazing for as long as it lasts.

The Flash 11 - This one, on the other hand, is going downhill ridiculously fast. I don't care how much other people love the art of Scott Kolins, the simple fact is he is not as good an artist as Francis Manapul. And when Manapul is (at least!) half the draw to the book, the book suffers when he's not there. I don't care about the reasons. I just care that the art doesn't look as good. Plus, I don't care about Flashpoint, I don't care about alternate Barry Allen, and I don't care about the so-called intervention for our Barry Allen. This book is slagging in a major way and I can't see myself sticking with it much longer if we can't get a major recommitment from Manapul.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors 9 - The War of the Green Lanterns continues and it's great. Here we see Mogo coming after our four Lanterns and the rings are obviously starting to affect them. (Kyle is the most obvious, but he's also the best one to watch.) Whatever this character is that's introduced as a police officer ("To Protect and Serve"?) of the Green is someone to watch out for, because you know that Geoff Johns doesn't introduce these sorts of concepts without a great reason that's going to pay off much further down the road. The way this story isgoing makes me feel that it certainly won't be as epic as the Sinestro Corps, but it might be just as important in its long-lasting ramifications.

Jimmy Olsen 1 - This one shot collected the backups from last year, which were fun at that time, and read great as a complete story here. The art is cartoonish in the best way possible and it really fits the tone of Jimmy Olsen and the story that's told here. There's not a lot more to say here, other than I didn't remember the end of these stories (were they published?) and I enjoyed the book. IF you didn't pick it up, you missed out.

The New York Five 4 (of 4) - This was a great experiment for me. I enjoyed it and this issue was a hell of a conclusion, but I won't be repeating it. When the next arc comes out, which I'm sure it will, I won't be buying it. I loved the art, I loved the concept, but I didn't really care about the story. Maybe this is because I've already done my Strangers in Paradise thing, but I just wasn't compelled by it. Not in any bad way, because, like I said, it was good, I enjoyed it. BUt it's not my cup of tea. I'm glad I read it, because I'll recommend it to a lot of different people, but I won't be continuing.

Book of the week goes to Action 900. Even if it wasn't the monumental anniversary issue that it is, it's a truly satisfying conclusion to a great, slow burn of a story arc. That's got to be rewarded and I hope the sales back that point up.

No comments: