Friday, March 4, 2011

comics for the week of 03/02/11.

I'm trying to find something great to latch onto. I got turned on to Scalped by a friend giving me the first trade, but I didn't think it was as mind-blowingly great as he said it was. Now, Kat told me they're starting to film a Locke & Key TV series in the PGH, so I figured I would give it a try. Any other recommendations? What's Morninglories about?

Green Lantern 63 - Despite the fact that we've seen this book previewed for what seemed like months already, this came across as a solid read. Also, I really didn't miss Mahnke on art here, which was a good thing. I've always tended to favor Ed Benes and I think he did a good enough job here. Interesting that we don't get to see anything of the fight between Krona and the Predator (or the Violet Lanterns, for that matter) but it might have been covered in Brightest Day? I know this has been covered in the past, but I wonder if Johns is going to (further) retcon the Guardians in regards to their shrinking. I love the glimpses of their society from back in the day. And, of course, at the end, the Book of Black and more talk about Abin Sur. Great, great stuff.

Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom 1 - Man, this is good. Like, I said, Kat clued me in and when I asked about it at the LCS, a girl who was in there butted her way into my conversation to say it was her favorite book in the last long time. Coupled with the good reviews I'd heard otherwise, I was wiling to take a chance, even though it's the middle of the long arc, apparently. And I'm glad I did. The art is perfectly cartoony, kind of reminding me of old Judd Winick stuff, but not over the top like the new manga style. The book is a semi-quick read, but to be honest, I've never really minded that. I'll definitely be searching out the first two trades and probably picking up the single issues from here on out. Intriguing concept, I'm not sure I'm qualified to say much more yet. I'm digging it, though.

Powers 6 - The last arc of Powers was such a fun run that it made me forget that I was going to drop the book when this newest reboot happened. But now, it's happening again. Another arc about supposed Gods dying? Another time Walker has to hide his powered secret from his partner? The best thing about this book was Deena Pilgrim, but I get the feeling that she's going to be a shade of her former self. (Best line of the book? "How my big shoes feeling?" If we get more of that, more of Deena, more of her coming back into the fold, I'm willing to buy it. But I don't think we really are going to.) She's going to be the occasional foil to the new partner set of Enki and Walker, and I just don't think I care that much. Not about this faux-anti-religious angle that Bendis is now pushing, not about the supposedly new world where the people of the Powers universe are residing, not about much, if any, of it. The second-best part of the issue, though, was the focus on Calista, whom I can see myself caring about very deeply. Tell her story. Move the ideas forward. Stop recycling the same old things that you've already done.

Book of the week goes to Green Lantern. As much as I loved Locke & Key, I can't throw out a solid story from Geoff Johns just because I liked the first issue of the middle of a story that I'm only starting to get into. The fact of the matter is that the War of the Green Lanterns is shaping up to be another blockbuster event. Johns is the master.

No comments: