Thursday, February 3, 2011

comics for the week of 02/02/11.

Short stacks are the new norm around here, eh?

Invincible 77 - The penultimate book in the Viltrumite War? Honestly, I don't know, but it seems like it is, and it was daaaaamn good. All issue long, Invincible is thinking about the destruction the Viltrumites are wreaking on Earth and when he arrives home, he's faced with an unthinkable choice. I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't read it, but damn.

Allen the Alien also gets some good character development. It's my hope that we'll get to see him in his new role. And, while I haven't cared for the Tech Jacket backup features, he seems to be coming along in the main book at a reasonable clip. The big thing that was left hanging in this book was the fate of Oliver. Next issue, we'll get to see the various reunions.

Superboy 4 - So, it was clear to everyone that the Science-Hunters were freaked out by Simon, right? I mean, he's got to be the one? The Psi-Lad cover story was convincing, but I wasn't really taken in by it. Therefore, the cliffhanger ending fell a bit flat for me, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. The bit with Lori was the only thing that seemed bad to me, since I don't care about her teenage angst over being related to Luthor and I dislike the plot thread in general. Superboy's coming along on his own, though, which is a great thing. The only question that this issue raised for me, then, was whether Psi Lad knew more about those creepy old guys than he said. Nice direction, keep going.

Book of the week goes to Invincible. Pacing of the Viltrumite War might have ran a bit long (the issue Nolan and Invincible were completely out of it, the excessive double page spreads) but it feels like its hitting its climaxes in all the right ways.

No comments: