Monday, October 18, 2010

comics for the week of 10/13/10.

A good week for comics. Great variety.

Green Lantern 58 - As Larfleeze continues to get developed, it's clear that he's the character, maybe besides Atrocitus, in whom Johns and company have the most invested. This is definitely not a bad thing, as the hints that we get about his origin and his parents, etc. in this issue really are tantalizing. The story of Hal Jordan continues to be the least interesting thing happening in his own book, which is a shame, but this book does a better job of focusing on the other Corps than any other book, which is a great thing.

New Avengers 5 - I'm glad that this thing with Doctor Strange's old master is turning out the way it is, because that was unsatisfactory to me. The Vishanti are a subject that I know little about, but I like the way that they're explaining little bits as the storyline progresses. I'm interested in how the story will (hopefully) conclude next issue.

Shadowland 4 (of 5) - Daredevil did not get a chance to resurrect Bullseye, so that's good, but damn...I've said it before and I'll say it again: Matt Murdock's got to die. If this storyline ends without him dying, with him just taking a break, or some such bullshit, well...I'm pretty sure I'll be unhappy. Which would be quite a change. Shadowland has been amazing so far and it just continues to get better and better. I'm happy to see that Elektra was playing the role of double agent, she's better as a consistent character, as opposed to constantly waffling back and forth. It'll all be done in a month, I can't wait.

The Unwritten 18 - If this book continues the way it's going right now, it might supercede some of the other quote-unquote best-evers. The layering that goes on with the mythology, the references, everything that's happening here feels truly purposeful and done with a master stroke. In this issue, we finally get to see some of the men and women behind the curtain and the character of Pullman gets to step a bit more into the daylight. There's an overarching menace to what's going on in the book, and a weird bit of religion, but nothing will stop me from devouring each issue.

Book of the week goes to the Unwritten. I'm curious to know whether it's a true ongoing, or if they have an end in mind. Obviously, I prefer the finite story.

No comments: