Monday, October 11, 2010

comics for the week of 10/06/10.

Had a great experience in the LCS yesterday when I ran into one of my great friends whom I sometimes see there and a new friend whom I'd just met about a month ago. The comic store as a meet up place? My middle school self would have been so proud.

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer 43 - Last Gleaming part two. Buffy just keeps better and better. As we race toward the conclusion, I'm really coming to agree with my friends who would always claim that Buffy was the least interesting character in her own series: she comes across really poorly in this issue, and that's not a fault of the writer, it's her own fault. Buffy's just not that fantastic of a character, I realized this issue, but I love the characters surrounding her. I was never a huge Spike fan, but this issue (and the great letter at the back) really made me appreciate him even more. The role of the Master in this issue is a bit confusing, but very funny overall. Angel's role obviously is going to be developed quite a bit more as we get toward the end, and I'm looking forward to it.

Red Hood: The Lost Days 5 (of 6) - Jason Todd is getting a little more interesting. After complaining about the last issue, I felt like this one did a good job of re-establishing the fact that, at his core, he doesn't care about the semantics of an issue the same way Bruce (or Dick) does. Jason Todd shouldn't be a character we can empathize with too closely, and this issue did a good job of re-emphasizing that. Here's to hoping for a good conclusion from Winnick.

Shield 4 - If last issue confused me, this one cleared most of that up, but increased the scale. I'm loving this book! Shield is one wacky experiment with retcons and mixing real history with comic book worlds; there's not a lot not to love. However, I'm not sure that it's going to go somewhere the way I like the majority of my art to do. For this reason, I'm a little more wary than I have been over the last 3 months of my unbridled enthusiasm.

Book of the week goes to Buffy, no doubt. I'll be back with more quicker this week.

No comments: