Thursday, September 30, 2010

go rangers.

I want to preface all of this by saying that I'm not a baseball fan. I find the games boring, the season ridiculously long, the sport old-fashioned, the players rarely to be fine specimens of aerobically fit athletes, and the whole obsession with the national (once upon a) pastime to be somewhat of a joke.

That being said, it's always kind of nice when the autumn chill gets into the air and the balloons start to rise in Albuquerque to know that baseball is getting around to its most enjoyable time: the playoffs.

This year, October and baseball playoffs mean a little bit more to me. I've got a friend who's been a Texas Rangers fan longer than I've known him. He's rooted for Texas every season we've been friends. He cheered them on despite my smacktalking on baseball, and he cheered them on despite their lackluster record. Year after year. (There's even been a group on Facebook since at least 2006 called "The Texas Rangers Suck But I Still Love Em.")

And now, for the first time in 11 years, the Texas Rangers are in the playoffs. They'll be playing either the New York Yankees or the Tampa Bay Rays, both of whom I can easily cheer against for the sake of my friend. (This despite the fact that, if I didn't know him, I'd be cheering for the Yankees. The power of coastal appeal? Or a whole lot of money and winning?)

The Rangers need all the rooting-for they can get. In addition to being famously run (into the ground?) by George W. Bush they also, very recently, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. On top of all this, they've never won a postseason playoff series. They've won only one game in the postseason. It wasn't at home.

And so, on behalf of all the casual baseball fans (or baseball haters, if we're being honest), I'd like to wish the Texas Rangers luck on their quest to get this enormous monkey off their collective backs. If it came against a perennial power like the Yankees, it'd be all the better for the sake of the sport, as well as a great middle finger to the coastal bias.

No comments: