Thursday, August 5, 2010

comics for the week of 08/04/10.

When I went to the shop this week, I had a moment of panic when there was nothing in my pull box. I thought to myself this might be the first week since I was a child that I had no comics to read in a new week. Thankfully, the end of the alphabet held a few of the not-so-must pull titles for me that I'm loving regardless.

Red Hood - The Lost Days 3 (of 6) - Jason Todd's voyage continues, and Talia's involvement in that journey deepens. We learn here about some of the different lessons that Jason's taken it upon himself to learn, including toxicology and different methods of killing. Not too shabby. Winick definitely knows how to tell a story, that's always been obvious in his works. However, all of this feels like strange prelude to a story that we already know. If they're going to spend this time on this story, they should really dig in, instead of just glossing over certain verses and chapters. We all know it's leading toward that confrontation with Bruce (hopefully something with Dick, too?) but this is the Lost Days. I guess they want to briefly touch everything. It's good, don't get me wrong. I'm just not sure it'll be as fulfilling as I want it to be. They could give Jason Todd his own ongoing series and I would buy it, even if it 'merely' covered this same time period. Good book, good story, good art, just wish there was more to it. The cover(s) by Tucci really kills, too.

Shadowland 2 (of 5) - Daredevil continues his descent into madness, and by the end of this issue, things will never be the same, even as much as the end of issue 1. Seriously, this is a great little mini-series, and the end results are going to be amazing. Ever since Joe Q and Kevin Smith took their ride on the Daredevil Express, bringing him back to relevance, this title has been one of the flagship Marvel titles. And each guy has found a way to out-do the previous. Diggle is crafting some classic material here. Matt seems to be waffling in his commitment to the Hand, especially in regards to his decision to kill Bullseye, but everytime anyone pushes him on it, he pushes back harder the other direction. Luke Cage, Danny Rand and a whole crew (including [an apparently not invited] Spider-Man) drop into Shadowland to have an intervention with Matt, and things go really, really poorly. Also, the Kingpin is positioning himself as the sane voice of reason opposite Matt. (Check out Spidey's line about black costumes and the typographical trick they play on the Previously page.) This book is scary good.

Shield 3 - On the other hand, this issue of this series felt weak to me. While issues 1 & 2 seemed groundbreaking, this one just seemed confusing. I had to go back and read it a second time to (try to) keep straight who was who and what was happening. Granted, this might have more to do with me reading issue 2, waiting approximately a month, then reading issue 1 and now reading this new issue, but I'm not convinced. The story is still epic in scope and I'm glad that we're seeing some definition of protagonist and antagonist, but it seems to jump pretty rapidly all over the place. That's not always a bad thing, but this might be the sort of book that's better to read in trade if we're going to be dealing with intricate, time-spanning, history-gauging storylines that combine real-world history with the history of the Marvel Universe. (Imhotep fighting the Brood? Bad to the bone! Galileo building a machine [pre-Ultimate Nullifier?] to knock out Galactacus? Kind of confusing, especially given the letter from the Vatican in the back where he says he merely created another world. [Does the picture in the comic look anything like that? Not to me, it doesn't.]) This book still gets tons of chances, I'm looking forward to every issue, but this issue didn't really do it for me.

No comments: