Friday, June 11, 2010

comics for the week of 06/09/10.

Decent stack this week, especially with the anniversary issue of Batman and its plus-size. Only bad thing about that was that I read it first, so it made everything else seem really short.

Batgirl 11 - The Flood part 3. Batgirl continues to impress, not only as a character, but as a book, too. In this issue, we see the Calculator confronting Barbara, and Cassie being joined by Wendy, who somehow escapes the inescapable cave that Babs set up for her. The issue was great, especially the beginning with Barbara and Dick in the dream world (those other boys were Damien and Jason and Tim, right? Were there three of them?) and Barbara's acknowledgment that she learned from the best. The only bad thing is that I read it immediately after Batman 700, so it felt extremely short. Can't wait for the conclusion next month.

Batman 700 - Time and the Batman. Morrison returns to the main title, and he writes a good story, but I can't help but feel that it's just another ... stop-gap. The story is a good one, like I said, but it didn't have that immediate, pull no punches feel of the previous anniversary issues. 600 was, of course, in the midst of the Murderer storyline (I guess Fugitive, really) which turned out well, in hindsight. 500 was the epic climax (maybe moving toward conclusion?) of the Knightfall storyline. This one was...well...a what-if continuation of 666? It was good, don't get me wrong, I liked the way the story tied together, and I love how Morrison continues to insist that he can do time-traveling or time-spanning stories well (he's almost right) but it just didn't have the punch that I would have expected. Except for seeing Damien as Batman again. I'll never get tired of that.

Booster Gold 33 - The search for Max Lord continues and this book continues to just kind of wallow in mediocrity. The characters seem stuck; no one's really matured or shown signs of growth. Booster did all his growing up in 52 and the first couple issues of this book. Rip tosses out clues, but not in any kind of mature fashion. Neither of them seems to have learned anything - not about each other, nor about themselves. They have the same fights that they did in the first arc. It's an entertaining book, but it doesn't impress me.

Daredevil 507 - Not as great a cover, but a good conclusion to the story of the Hand in Japan. With the revelation regarding the White Tiger last issue, I'm now left wondering about the Black Tarantula. Matt seems like he's still got good in his consciousness, but he's being swayed too easily. I'm looking forward to the Shadowland storyline and I think Diggle's still doing a good job writing the book.

Shield 2 - Man, this book is so intriguing, I read it even though I haven't got my copy of Shield 1 yet, and I was so glad that I did. I like what they're doing here. I like the idea of deep ret-cons like this that are handled well. Nothing infuriating, plenty of history (both real-world and 616) and a story that looks like it's actually going somewhere. The right way to do a book of this kind, even if I'm not exactly sure what "of this kind" means yet.

The Unwritten 14 - Tommy Taylor book 14 still isn't released, but everyone's moving in their own direction, which, curiously, no longer means together. Lizzie abandons Tom (although I suspect she'll be back) and we have these great, tiny revelations about the shadow group, how Lizzie contacts Wilson (if it's really him that she's speaking to) and the relationship between Count Ambrosia and Savoy - but not nearly enough on that last one! This book is still one of the best on the market every month and it seems clear that Carey and Gross are putting quite a bit into it.

Book of the week goes to the Unwritten for continuing down the great path and being unafraid to do different stuff.

No comments: