Saturday, May 22, 2010

comics for the week of 05/19/10.

Sorry for the lateness again, I've got no excuses.

Avengers 1 - I'm neither a Bendis lover (or apologist) nor a hater, but I just can't shake the feeling that he's sacrificing better things (Powers) for this fanboy obsession with the Avengers. This book wasn't bad and I can certainly see the baselines of a real story here, one that looks like it'll be good, but I'm not sure that I care. Steve Rogers as the new top cop is cool, it gives him a function beyond just being back, and the team chemistry with Iron Man there will be a fun thing to watch. However, if this is the start of the Heroic Age, it's off to a weak start. Both Spider-Man and Wolverine, if I'm looking at my preview images correctly, appear to be part of the New Avengers, and we're going to have a Secret Avengers team, and a Young Avengers team (but they won't call them that) and...well, I just don't care. Romita's pencils, which I consistently defend to my friends, fell flat here, and he doesn't appear to be a good fit for the book. Unimpressed and unenthused.

Ex Machina 49 - On the other hand, here's a book that's well-written and pencilled like nobody's business. What happened in this book will only be vaguely alluded to, as I don't want to spoil anyone, but suffice it to say that I did not expect it and I'm now curious as to what they're going to do with the final issue. Things are looking pretty good in general for the book, but all of the characters have at least one significant hurdle to get through before we can anything approaching a happy ending. This book has been excellent from start to finish, and I look forward to seeing how the actual conclusion wraps things up.

Legion of Superheroes 1 - A better first issue than Avengers, but that's not saying much. It just seems that, these days, DC is almost always on better footing than Marvel. Levitz does a pretty good job of spreading the story around (always a concern in a book with this large of an ensemble cast) and I love the fact that we're picking up story threads from as many different places as possible! (Main Superman book, the Legion of 3 worlds mini, and probably a couple more that I didn't read.) I'm glad that something is changing in regards to the story concerning Sodom Yat, because I hate the idea of emo Yat simply being alone while so much superheroics is still going on. I'm intrigued by the new Mogo and his relevance to Earth Man, and I always care about the Big Three of the Legion. This one might be a keeper.

Unwritten 13 - The Unwritten is so weird. But in the best way possible. This might honestly be the best book being published right now. It's working on a lot of levels and reminds me a lot of the Sandman when the Sandman was fresh on the scene. However, I do have some concerns if this is just going to be another book that's pumped and pumped until it's way past the point when it should have been over. I'd be super-elated if it was announced by Vertigo, or Carey himself, that this book has a set endpoint and that there is a definite story being told. It seems as though it has to, especially with the Harry Potter homages, and the way things are being revealed about the connections that the various characters have, but that's not always the case. Seeing as it's a Vertigo title, I'm going to have a whole lot of patience with it, though. Regardless, this issue takes us out of the rabbit tales that we got last month, and back to London, where the 13th Tommy Taylor book is going to be released. Tom, of course, wants to confront his father and so he's returned. We learn that his dad (probably) had nothing to do with the book, and we're all set up for a pretty massive showdown in the next issue, involving even more parties than we had a right to expect.

Book of the week goes to Ex Machina, even though Unwritten was probably better. As BKV is moving his book toward its conclusion, it seems like so much is coming into play, and he's doing a masterful job of wrapping things up, as opposed to just stopping. This is another book that clearly had a plan, set out to tell a story, and is being allowed to run its course, instead of being abnormally elongated or abruptly cut short. Kudos to the industry for letting that happen, and congratulations to Vaughn for doing a great job with it.

No comments: