Friday, May 7, 2010

comics for the week of 05/05/10.

Again, the small stack, but at least I've got as full diversity as you'll ever see from me.

Batman and Robin 12 - First of all, this has the weakest Quitely cover of the entire run thus far, and I thought Andy Clarke's art inside was way better than Frank's would have been. Which is weird for me to say, given how full circle I've now gone on his art. Regardless, the comic itself was fantastic. This, again, is surprising to say, since I've been smack-talking on all the Bat books for months now. Grant Morrison, however, has come through in this case, and given us something other than his typical routine of it's-so-obvious-and-that's-why-it'll-shock-them. The Return of Bruce Wayne is a torturous point for me, because I firmly believe that people should die in comics and stay dead, but Bruce is such a damn cool character. Dick has toiled in Nightwing-obscurity for long enough now, he deserves to be the Batman, and he's done a dang good job of it. Lastly, Damian is finally progressing as a character enough that I don't want him to die every single time I see him. This, to me, is a sign that Grant Morrison hasn't completely lost it as a writer and I expect good things from this book in the next year or so. (As long as we can steer clear of any of the obvious, ridiculous, nonsensical pandering that the mini-series The Return of Bruce Wayne looks like it's going to be.)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 35 - My love for Buffy knows no end. My love for Buffy and Angel used to know no end, but, recently, when I went through the whole series again, I didn't feel as passionately about Angel and his involvement in her life, as I had previously. (The same thing [in reverse] happened with Xander: the first time I watched the series, I remember staying absolutely furious with Xander through the entire run of the show. This time, I cut him a lot more slack, and found him a much more rounded, well-developed character. I think the two are probably related.) Anyway, I've loved the fact that Angel's been back and I love the weird things that are happening in the universe. However, all this being said, as Buffy was explaining to him why she had to go back and save her friends, I completely expected him to say no, and turn out to be the bad guy, either though misguided determination, or because he'd been lying previously, or even by way of turning out to actually be someone else. But then, he didn't. And he went with her. And now I remain confused on the whole Twilight thing. I don't get it at all. Luckily, the super secret, super special guest star shows up at the end to promise to clear it all up. Unfortunately, that clearing up is going to have to wait at least another two months? I understand comics don't write or draw themselves, but damn, this is worse than watching a TV show live!

The Spectacular Spider-Girl 1 (of 4) - An impulse buy, but I always feel good when I buy comics where Peter is still married to Mary Jane. I've been a Spider-Man fan my entire life, and when One More Day left me without Spider-Man, I started picking up Spider-Girl's previous series. I was a bit too late. It was canceled, and so, no more Spidey in my life. So when I see Mayday on the stands, I feel like it's almost an obligation that I pick up the book. The M2 Universe as a whole never hold much (any) sway with me, and I wasn't enthused to see the story begin with the Punisher of that world, nor did I care at all about the American Dream backup feature. However, the continuation of the Mayday vs. Mayhem (in a way) storyline, from the main book, made this feel like the series was still very much alive. If they put out a mini-series like this two or three times a year, it'll probably be just as good as keeping the book alive. And I'd be psyched to buy it. Kaine's progressed, Normie's progressed, everything feels very much in line, in continuity, it's just not getting published as a regular monthly. Hopefully, the sales on this will be good, and will encourage Marvel to shop some good stories around, and let various people take some cracks at writing Peter, Mary Jane and the rest of the Spider mythos as they should be currently written: as real people that make real decisions and stand by those consequences.

Book of the week goes to Spider-Girl, despite my fanboyish devotion to Buffy, because I think it's important that people acknowledge Peter Parker as married to Mary Jane Watson.

No comments: