Wednesday, April 7, 2010

just briefly, on reading books.

John Green asks a question in his latest video (actually, I'm sure he asks more than one, but...) that I think is worth a quick answer:



The answer is no. I don't find it harder to read books in the modern era. However, that comes with a caveat: I don't find it harder to read books in the modern era...than I ever did before...or as long as they're good books.

When I was growing up, all I wanted to read were sci-fi or fantasy books. As I grew, so did my tastes, but not before comic books took a permanent residence as my preferred form of literature. So now, while I read plenty of books still, they tend to fall along the lines of comics, or info about comics, or young adult fiction, which serves the dual-purpose of entertaining me and helping me in my job.

Regardless of what kind of book I'm reading, though, as long as it's a good book, it is all I can think about. I want to read it when I wake up in the morning (and usually do try to sneak a few pages in), I want to schedule SSR at school so that I can read, and I want to read at night. A lot of times, other things get in the way, but once I'm in the throes of a book, it's usually pretty engrossing. A couple of things to note about this, though: my appetite for books is not exactly normal. And, a lot of the time here I'm talking about comics. Neither of these are bad, in my opinion, but they're important.

Do you feel distracted in your day to day life?

No comments: