Monday, July 27, 2009

for sale: illicit materials.




Once upon a time, the fair governor of our state of New Mexico, Bill Richardson, was running for President. (I know, it's hard to believe at this point in time that he thought he could compete with now-President Obama or then-presumed-President Hillary...) It was good for our state, I think, to get a little of that attention, and for him to raise his own name and political profile. I'm a fan of New Mexico and Albuquerque in particular, so anything that gets us more light is, I think, a good thing.

However, it wasn't all rainbows and butterflies when it came to Bill's Presidential campaign. I think Richardson's done some good things. Not just in general, but for New Mexico as well. There are those who disagree with me, of course, as there always are, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not here to talk about vague generalities. I'm here to talk about one particular time, of which I have specific knowledge, where it seems as though (if I have all my fact straight) Richardson made the wrong decision. Let me set the scene just a bit:

Smoking is gross. Like, seriously gross. Why anyone would choose to take up smoking in this day and age when the risks are so well-documented and well-known is literally beyond my comprehension. I just don't get it. There's nothing good about it.

And so, with that background, I think we can all agree (at least, assuming that you agree with the premise) on the conclusion that anti-smoking campaigns are good things. The subversive movie Thank You For Smoking was not only hilarious, but a great anti-smoking campaign in its own way. (Although I'll readily cop that I don't think that was its main thrust.) Anything we can do to educate people further on the risks associated with smoking is a good thing. And anything we can do to stop them from taking that first step into smoking, further, is an even better thing.

So a local marketing firm was tasked to do so. So far, so great. Combining tons of things I like: marketing firms make money, anti-smoking campaigns are great, and the local tag means that I get to feel good about smart people from New Mexico contributing to the world. When we get ready to throw Richardson in the mix, you'd think it'd be the perfect combination. You'd be wrong.


2 Large and 1 Medium

These are (the only two remaining designs of) the shirts that the marketing firm came up with.


2 Small

They're great, right? Clever, with a good message, something that everyone can enjoy. But here comes the rub. Turns out (like I said, if I got all my facts straight) that Richardson didn't really like the idea of something coming from his state while he was gunnin' for that number one spot with the word sucks on it. (Is this even believable? I mean, what kind of grown man has a problem with this kind of language in the 21st century?) So, as the story goes, the marketing campaign was shut down, the shirts were halted in production, and there were only a handful left.

Via nefarious means, I got my hands on a few of the shirts. As far as I know, there's a handful more out there, but they're all in the hands of people who want them. I only have these extra few. And, as I'm in the middle of cleaning house, I've decided to offer them up. If you want to own one of these bad boys, contact me! We can talk about price if it gets to that point. However, before you think about emailing, let me just say straight up: these shirts are seriously small. I think they might be kid's sizes. Seriously. (No, I don't know what they were thinking making them so small.) They're really small. But I think they'd fit a girl pretty well, if that's your style. I only have the quantities listed below the pics. I have no idea if anyone will want to buy these, but I figured I'd put them up here before I just donated them to Goodwill or sold them in a garage sale.

Like I said, hit me up if you're interested. They're great shirts, and you can explain the whole story when you wear them out and people comment on them. Get 'em while you can.

No comments: