Monday, May 11, 2009

on star trek.

J.J. Abrams is my Master now. (Obviously, still with the massive amounts of love for Joss.)

With my always-mentioned love for LOST dominating my television-watching and JJ's almost impeccable record, it was an obvious choice to take my mama to see the new Star Trek for Mother's Day this weekend. Luckily, she's kind of a geek, too, so she agreed to come along.

First of all, let me reference the people who know more about Star Trek than I do (which, admittedly, is a lot of people, but...) and their videos where they say that the new Star Trek is worth your time:



So, ya know, Hank liked it. That's a plus.

Now, mainly I agree with Hank. Except for the fact that time travel doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I've been heavily lusting after this season of LOST. And I do pretty well at avoiding spoilers before movies, but, I mean, I think it was just a given that almost everyone knew that there was going to be some kind of time travel aspect to this movie. (Everyone did know that, right?) And I think it was common knowledge that Leonard Nimoy was gonna be in the flick as well. So given those two facts, I'm really not sure how anyone could be bothered by these so-called revelations. I mean...we all knew they were coming.

Other than that, I will say that Star Trek is a tremendously enjoyable film. You don't need to know anything about any of the various TV shows or previous movies in order to understand and enjoy it. It's got a self-sustained plot (which is the darling of every 'reboot') and it's got actors who look enough like the old ones while imbuing the characters with a sense of them selves. You can tell almost immediately that there are going to be some intense bonds between some of the characters, not only due to direct interactions, but due to the parallel storytelling. This is a well-directed film.

The plot itself, sure, leaves some stuff to be desired, like the quibbles that Hank mentions regarding the time-placement of Spock and the space-placement of Kirk, but really? I mean, aren't these kind of absurd complaints from anyone familiar with the genre of fiction? I mean, all stories rely upon some kind of coincidence like so. Some are greater than others, I certainly won't deny that, but...it just doesn't strike me as solid ground upon which to stand.

Summertime movies officially opened up with Wolverine last weekend and Star Trek proudly continues that tradition. I've gotta be real, though, and acknowledge: very little is likely to get me as jazzed as Terminator next weekend. Do yourself a favor, though, in the meantime: go see Star Trek.

No comments: