Monday, November 3, 2008

on barack.

In general, I figure that not many people I don't know read this blog. I don't really go out of my way to advertise it, I'm not super-active in any online communities or anything like that, and I've not been linked to by any huge names. So when I say that tomorrow I'm going to be holding my breath until Barack Obama wins, I kind of figure that it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone here.

However, I have kind of gone out of my way to not directly get too into it, not to beat anyone over the head with my uber-liberal tendencies.

But.

That doesn't mean that it's not there. My whole life, for the last week, definitely, has been consumed by the chorus "Obama, Obama, Obama!" I've been furiously consuming political news for so long that it seems like I'm on the verge of burning out, but every time that happens, all I can think of is how excited I'm going to be tomorrow when the nation finally elects a President I can be proud of. Four years ago, as I was working with the DNC, I poured my heart into John Kerry's campaign, traveling around not only New Mexico, but even up to Colorado. I worked my ass off for that man, even though I didn't truly think he was a great candidate. But I was willing to do it because I thought he was the better choice. And when he lost, it was easily one of the top 5 most disappointing (worst?) moments of my life.

I'm now realizing that it had to happen that way so then so that it could happen this way now.

I could not be more excited.

2Pac said that we weren't ready for a black President and it really did seem that he was right. But the crazy thing is that it wasn't that long ago! Chris Rock's been jumping up and down, desperately trying to make everyone forget that he called Billy Clint the first black President. It's a huge thing in America, where racism is still rampant. The craziest thing about that is that there are still some people who believe that it's not a problem in modern-day society.

Now, however, Nas says it best. We are ready. We are the people we've been waiting for, we are the change we want to see in the world, etc. Every other cheesy cliche you can think of is true. We can do better. We deserve better. And tomorrow, we will get it.

No comments: