Friday, October 3, 2008

on the evolution of the english language.

If words are like people, does that make novels like towns? And classic novels like the biggest and best cities of the world?

I love my job because it lets me play with the English language. I'd love even more if I got paid to write on a higher level, but that's something I can only bring about myself, and something that I'll obviously be working toward (and on) for my entire life.

But one of the coolest aspects of the job is that I get to share some of the more interesting aspects of the English language. It evolves, it changes. We, as adults know this. But we have to remember that there was a time when we didn't know this. Slang is one of my favorite things to talk about with my smarter students. But the simple fact is that this is not a new development: English has always been an extremely mutable form of expression.

And now, it turns out, that some words are on the endangered species list from Collins. Go help save some words. Pick out your fave and get it saved so that future generations can read it someday, get curious about it, and look it up, and find out that the whole course of action described came this close to not happening.

No comments: