Thursday, September 18, 2008

on josh howard in preview fashion.

I thought that I'd have time to write about all the Josh Howard news that's been popping up and add my thoughts, but it's just not gonna happen today. I will say this real quick about that: Josh Howard is a great basketball player. He does his job well. And even if he didn't, we live in a country where people are supposed to have free speech. If you're up in arms about what he said, I guess that's your prerogative. However, if you think something should happen to him just because of what he said, you are officially a hypocrite. The funniest thing to me about all this happening now is how it's tying together in my head the long-gestating entry on the Drug War, the issues of race and class inherent in America and put so boldly on display this election season, as well as basketball. I thought my life was coming together with music, basketball and politics. Now I have Josh Howard to thank for keeping it keeping on.

In closing, I have to say that most of my contemporaries have constantly dogged on Stephen A. Smith for most of my life. I've defended him for most of that time, because I thought that if he wasn't the smartest guy, at least he was keeping it real. That defense is done with this new article, wherein he takes Howard to task in one of the most irresponsible fashions I've ever read. Race-on-race racism? That's nearly the worst kind.

No comments: