Tuesday, June 17, 2008

on untitled.

So, as you should have already heard, Nas has been working on a new album. You may or may not have heard about the controversy, but Nas wanted to use a certain word as the title of his album that a lot of people were very frustrated by - and some weren't. Regardless, the album's getting set to drop in about a month according to Amazon, at least, (keep in mind, this album was originally supposed to drop in December of '06) but in a pejorative move against his record label (I guess this is all theorizing [not just on my part] but I feel pretty comfortable labeling it as fact), Nas someone has leaked a copy of what's being called "The N_____ Mixtape" - a collaboration between Nas and DJ Green Lantern. I listened to it today. Twice. It's great. There's a lot of really insightful stuff on there, some interesting political tracks (combining 2pac, Nas' old stuff, and Barack Obama seems obvious once you hear it, but then you think about how distant this all seemed ten, twenty years ago), and, of course, some fluff. It's good, though. It's worth getting. It's especially worth getting if you're interested in Hip-Hop, if you're interested in race, if you're interested in politics, and if you're interested in the inevitable comparison and contrast between this album (maybe the one he actually wanted to put out?) and the one that's coming out, that his record company is calling Untitled and Amazon is (apparently) calling Nas.

One of the real reasons I'm putting up this blog, though, as well, is because of the guys over at The Real. They do really funny stuff most of the time, obviously centered around Hip-Hop and the culture associated with it, but I can't figure out their latest video. I'm not sure if it's pure genius, maybe the smartest dig that I've ever seen, or if it's "just" pure comic genius. There's quite a difference and the first time I watched it, I laughed out loud. But then it stayed with me the whole day and I had to come back and watch it again. Then I watched it again. And now I'm thinking about it a lot. It references a ton of stuff, including Nas' back catalog, Memph Bleek's fading career and, of course, the new controversy. So, obviously, it's gonna help if you know a bit about Hip-Hop and the recent past thereof. But even if you don't, I think you'll dig the video. Check it below.


?saN sdrawkcaB from jeff on Vimeo.

No comments: