Thursday, May 29, 2008

on final crisis.

Well, this day was all set up o be one of the most epic days of my life:

The season finale of Lost is still coming on and I have faith that'll kick butt. Lost has been on a tear lately, and it's totally validating a lot of the things that I've been saying about the show all along: the writers know what they're doing. They have a plan. They've always had a plan. What that plan is? Now that, I don't know, but if I did, would watching the show and puzzling over what they're going to do next be any fun at all? Nope. I'm along for the ride.

The Lakers are playing the Spurs tonight, in a chance to close out this series at home in L.A. If they win tonight, they go back to the Finals, where they haven't been since 2004, when they should have won with the Beatles-esque team they had with Kobe, Shaq, Mailman, and the Glove (oh yeah, and someone else). For any of you who don't remember (my heart still cries about it), they did not, in fact, win that series. Pathetic and a shame, I know, but it's the only time these Pistons, who are perennially mentioned as a powerhouse of the East, have won the title. (Is it the only time they've made it to the Finals?)

But, lastly, and the only one I've encountered thus far today, Final Crisis #1 came out today. Can I just say...it would be impossible for me to be more disappointed. This was Grant Morrison! This was epic! This was JG Jones! This was the big moment in the fight! This was our introduction the the final act!

And what did we get...? A bunch of disjointed, poorly written vignettes. Did Countdown never happen? (I know some people who read it who wished that it hadn't so they could have saved some money...) Did Death of the New Gods never happen? (I know that, as a non-Kirby fan who bought it, I felt like it was kind of cheesy...) What's up with Luthor, Grodd, et. al. being off the prison planet? Did the last issue of Salvation Run come out and I just missed it or are we playing the continuity game again? (Already?!)

Color me Marvel thus far on this one. At least Secret Invasion's given us what they said it would. I'll certainly be buying Final Crisis #2 (and, more than likely, the whole thing, even if it's the world's worst comic) but I'm far from impressed. Morrison's got a lot of ground to cover if he's going to turn this ship around. I'm hopeful that he will, he's one of the best (maybe the best?) in the biz, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Overall: Final Crisis #1? Only buy it if you're a fanatic completionist like myself or if you have 1000% faith that Morrison can turn it into gold in the remaining six issues.

No comments: