Thursday, April 17, 2008

on stargirl.

Being a teacher offers a lot of perks. Obviously, summer vacation is at the top of my list, but that's not to say that it's the only one. I mean, there's a lot of the obvious ones, like getting out at three (although I've literally never left school at three, but that's beside the point), getting to hang out with kids all day, and meeting some great people.

But one of the greatest perks is that I get a chance to read all the great books that I loved as a kid, or if not those same books over again, books that are just like them if not better. I just finished Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl and this is one of those books. Stargirl was everything a person could want from a Young Adult novel: it had plenty of kiddish angst, it had plenty of passages that could be read in any university course, it had things that are perfect for teaching, etc.

And it fits perfectly with this new unit that I'm trying to shoehorn into my students' lives: What is popularity? Why do people crave this thing so much that's not even real? I mean, it's a social construct of a social idea that we've been socially conditioned to believe that we need for our social lives to be considered a success! (I just wanted to try and see how many "social"s I could fit in there. I think it works.)

It's a great book. I highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys reading even the little tiniest amount. And the greatest thing about reading these types of books is that you can start this sucker on Monday and be done on Tuesday. I mean, you could stretch it to Wednesday or Thursday morning if you're lazy (like me, hah!) but you can burn through these things. And it's not like they don't tell complete stories; they do! In, perhaps, one of the truest senses of story-telling that we used to know but that some of us have forgotten.

Whoops, got a little corny there. Anyway, go check out the book. It's quick and easy (like me) but it'll leave you satisfied.

No comments: